why choose a pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
my father is planning on getting a new computer within the next year. i'm trying to talk him into getting a mac because of boot camp. lets say he uses microsoft 70% of the time and apple the other 30%. i read somewhere, for a person like him, it is better to get a windows computer over a mac computer that offers both windows and mac. my question is, why would'nt you get a mac and have the best of both worlds instead of strictly a windows base computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Think of it in car terms...if you really wanted a sports car but you'd only use it 30% of the time versus lets say an all around sedan that you would use 70% of the time why bother? Ya know...if he pretty much only uses Windows then getting a Mac wouldn't be for him, the best part about Macs is the OS plain and simple, but if he's only going to us Mac's OS a small fraction of the time versus using Windows almost all of the time then it's just not worth it...just my two cents :black:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it's about the software. if he needs stuff that is ony available on windows a majority of the time, then as Devilboy would say, stick with a PC. if not, then it's just fear of the unknown.

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
but why would you limit your self down to just one os when you can have two? i see it as a normal pc with the extra option of a mac os on it. i'm not trying to debate you guys on it, i just want to know why you guys say that.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i find it easier to be able to troubleshoot, share files, and apps, etc, when i've got one OS in the home.

despite the fact that i've got a lot of software and games for windows, i have not loaded parallels or boot camp on my mac. i've closed that door until either apple really screws up, or microsoft makes a decent OS again, or until something i like better comes along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB
but why would you limit your self down to just one os when you can have two? i see it as a normal pc with the extra option of a mac os on it. i'm not trying to debate you guys on it, i just want to know why you guys say that.

This was part of my thinking behind buying a macbook. Best of both worlds as far as i could see.

After 2 weeks i've still not installed Windows though! I feel it would stop me from getting to know OS X. So far I like using the Mac OS so i'm not going to install Windows, until there comes a point where i really need it for some app that i just can't find OS X (i'm thinking MS Access sooner or later).

I'm so used to buying a new PC and it running fast until I start installing programs. Once i've got all the programs i need on there it starts feeling slow! I've installed everything i think i need on my MacBook and its still as fast as the day i switched it on! :D

I'm really glad I did not install windows on the 1st day of ownership!

Reaction score
remember our parents are a generation older, most of them whom have learned Windows (and some have had a hard time learning it) are not willing to re-learn another OS and they are content using 100% the same OS they have always been used to. even when their tasks only involve getting on the internet to play solitaire and email applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Because he doesn't need it. He works with Windows and seem extremely happy and content to continue doing so.
Computer choices are personal, hence the term "Personal Computer".
Just because one person likes or prefers something, doesn't mean that the next person will agree with him. Nobody should try to convince anyone, coerce anyone, "switch" anyone, "talk someone into" anything, turn someone to the "light side" over from the "dark side" (whatever the crap that means, though several people use it), or otherwise force their computing preference down anyone else's throats.

This isn't a race or competition to see who can "convert" the most people to use a Mac. A person can offer their opinion to the other person and that is about it... they can't and shouldn't beat their opinions into another person's head and badger them until the other person buys what they like. It is up to the person buying the computer to make the final decision on what they purchase.

Reaction score
Windows based machines are significanty cheaper than macs. Running/maintaining/learning two (or more) OS at a time is a headache. IMO: running windows>windows+mac. I am not saying windows>mac or mac>windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Windows based machines are significanty cheaper than macs. Running/maintaining/learning two (or more) OS at a time is a headache. IMO: running windows>windows+mac. I am not saying windows>mac or mac>windows.

That's been shown on many occasions to not be true like for like - but it is true to say there are more hardware configurations available for Windows machines and some of these are cheaper than the configurations offered by Apple.

It is a personal choice and I agree with D3v1L80Y that converting people isn't always helpful or desireable... however... I have some comments about the split use.

I have a Mac and I use Parallels for a couple of reasons. 1stly, at work I use Windows XP and like to have Windows at home for 100% compatibility (things like Visio or MS Project etc occasionally havwe to be fired up at home). There are a couple of other programmes I use too. However I spend way more than 90% of my time in OS X, excluding my time at work.

What I would say though is if you're content with Windows but just want to 'try out' OS X, then buy a Mac and try and use OS X 100%. As soon as you install windows, get your pics, MP3s and bookmarks all set up, you're rarely going to wander into OS X. As soon as anything troubles you on the OS X side, you'll be running for cover in windows. I think you have to immerse yourself fully to give it a chance. OS X is not Windows, it's not even necessarily easier (especially if you've been a windows user for years).

What does your Dad use his current machine for? If it's just browsing and looking at pictures (for example), then you could suggest he tries a Mac in a store to see what he thinks. If he's using lots of software which is available on Windows only and is maybe a little worried about learning a new environment, then maybe best leave him to it.

Reaction score
"That's been shown on many occasions to not be true like for like." Can you tell me where to find this? I only have to run over to Dells website or even look at ads posted in the paper. Windows machines are significantly cheaper for simliar concrete performance levels. What do you think pays for all those beautiful mac stores? This doesn't take in to account the extra efficiency and time saved with using an OS that you really like or great presentation.
It's more about how much more your'e going to spend on a depreciating asset, and much save time and headache your'e gonna get from that extra spent. If you're already good at windows, I would say stick with windows. If you're sitting on a comfortable amount of income and want to seemlessly connect all your apple devices (ipod + itunes + computer + mactv + iphone in the future), then apple becomes a more viable route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"That's been shown on many occasions to not be true like for like." Can you tell me where to find this? I only have to run over to Dells website or even look at ads posted in the paper. Windows machines are significantly cheaper for simliar concrete performance levels. What do you think pays for all those beautiful mac stores? This doesn't take in to account the extra efficiency and time saved with using an OS that you really like or great presentation.
It's more about how much more your'e going to spend on a depreciating asset, and much save time and headache your'e gonna get from that extra spent. If you're already good at windows, I would say stick with windows. If you're sitting on a comfortable amount of income and want to seemlessly connect all your apple devices (ipod + itunes + computer + mactv + iphone in the future), then apple becomes a more viable route.

Whenever I get into this conversation with people, I do wonder where they're looking.

MacBook Black (since this is the machine I am on now). From Apple's website.

CPU - C2D @ 2.0ghz
RAM - 1 GB
HDD - 120GB
Gfx - GMA950
Media - DVD R/W

13" Screen, built in camera, blue-tooth etc.

All yours for $1499

Equivalent Dell

CPU - C2D @ 2.0ghz
Ram - 1GB
HDD - 120GB
Gfx - GMA950
Media DVD R/W

12.1" Screen, comes with a built in camera and hi speed wi-fi. Costs $1,767

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/bas...=CFG&oid=c554dd8f-f532-475a-8184-a80c57abff33

The thing is, the Dells always look cheaper, but as soon as you increase the CPU speed from the standard 1.83ghz to 2.0ghz, increase the HDD from 80GB to 120GB and add a camera and blue-tooth, the price leaps ahead.

It's a myth that like for like machines from Apple cost more. Plus, even if I do say so myself, a MacBook is significantly better looking that a Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Being a user (past and current) of WinXP, 95 and 98SE, Mac OS X, and a bunch of different Linux distros, I have really grown to appreciate the magic of OS X and the freedom of Linux. I have a large variety of computers that range from a 200mhz Compaq from '96 to my lovely MBP and I really like that there is an OS to match the hardware and intended use of the comp.
I only started using alternate OS options to Windows last year and haven't turned back; I only use Windows for games now... sometimes. I either dual boot Windows/Linux on my desktops or only run Linux since it allows me to do a lot more than I could with XP on the older hardware and especially Win98 (flash drives actually WORK...). I understand why people stick with Windows because it's what they know, but after building so many different systems and using them consistently, it makes me wonder why sometimes. If you take care of your windows install, you know that you need to defrag, run disk cleanup, actively update spyware and antivirus defs, and run the corresponding scans. The problem is, a lot of people don't and quickly run into problems that they just live with. I really got sick of it once I realized that I spent more time maintaining my comps than actually using them, so I felt like trying something new. OS X to me is rather trouble free from a maintenance standpoint (just verify permissions w/ disk utility and occasionaly run cache cleaning scripts w/ something like OnyX) and AV/spyware scanners aren't extremely important unless you share files/drives/do a lot of networking with other Windows comps. The one and only drawback of OS X (for me anyway) is that you can't legally install it on any old piece of hardware since I like to build systems, but I suppose at the same time it confirms compatibility, plus the OS and hardware are supported by the same people.
It all boils down to, however, what you expect to be able to do with your comp. For example, I use OS X for all of my audio stuff because Garageband and other such programs for OS X incorporate into the OS quite well. I also use it and Linux for daily tasks such as web browsing, email, viewing/listening to media, office stuff, and IM since it does it very well. At this point, for me, Window's niche lies solely in its gaming abilities and for anything that is proprietary for it (though many Linux distros are beginning to step up the compatibility bar quite high). This thread seems to be aimed at asking why stay with Windows instead of OS X, and the only reason I can find is that many average users are unwilling to invest the time to learn different ways of computing. In all honesty, I do not feel any limitations when using one OS or the other when it comes to any standard task, but as another poster has said, it's the apps that sell a user on a OS. Everyone uses a computer differently though.

Reaction score
Your comparison doesn't include that apples only have 90 day warranties and need to spend upwards of $200 to get it upraded to 3 year. If you're trying to get a base computer which the overwhelming majority want, then maybe you wouldn't really want to double the price to get the camera, and bluetooth, osx, sexy looking 1 " thick design in a rapidly outdated tool. Go to hot deal sites such as fatwallet.com>forums or slickdeals.net and you can get yourself a quality laptop for good prices. Since macs only have a single source, which ensures usually better hardware compatibility control, the prices are a lot higher.

Try some of these out

Lenovo 3000 N100 Notebook PC - 699.98 AR
Intel Core Duo T2250 Processor
1GB memory (2x 512MB PC2-5300 DDRII 667)
120GB 5400rpm (12.7mm SATA) Hard Drive
15.4" VibrantView Display
DVD+/- RW Dual Layer
Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium
Intel Integrated 950 GMA
1 year warranty
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?ts=1176299810115&errorUrl=zipcode&cm_pla=361116&langId=-1&SID=180895-0-0-0-55hnno&AID=10462997&zipCode=95132&cmArea=SEARCH&ddkey=StaplesBeFree&PID=361116&productId=164774&jspStoreDir=Staples&catalogId=10051&cm_cat=358129&cm_ven=CJ&storeId=10001&cm_ite=Ongoing+-+Staples+Basic&prodCatType=1&ddkey=StaplesZipCodeAdd#desclink

Desktop unit - $479
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 Year On-site Economy Plan
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
* 20 inch E207WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel [add $50]
1 year warranty
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bddecbj&s=bsd

Starting this Sunday (04/08/2007)bestbuy will have the A135-s4527 laptop on sale for $599.99
Toshiba Satellite 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (A135-S4527)
• Intel Pentium Dual Core T2080
• 120GB hard drive
• Burns DVDs and CDs
• 1GB of DDR2 memory
• Built-in 802.11gb wireless
• Windows Vista Home Premium

I went to dell's site. Dell>Small Business>Inspiron 6400 line. Bigger harddrive. Way better graphics card blue tooth, 9 monthes longer warranty. no icamera though =(. $1,142, $357 (24%) less than 13" macbook

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display edit
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™ edit
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless edit
BLUETOOTH WIRELESS Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) edit
SOUND OPTION Integrated Audio edit
MEDIA DIRECT Media Direct 3.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your comparison doesn't include that apples only have 90 day warranties and need to spend upwards of $200 to get it upraded to 3 year. If you're trying to get a base computer which the overwhelming majority want, then maybe you wouldn't really want to double the price to get the camera, and bluetooth, osx, sexy looking 1 " thick design in a rapidly outdated tool. Go to hot deal sites such as fatwallet.com>forums or slickdeals.net and you can get yourself a quality laptop for good prices.

I acknowledged in my 1st post that of course you can buy cheaper Windows based PCs than Macs.

Zoolook said:
it is true to say there are more hardware configurations available for Windows machines and some of these are cheaper than the configurations offered by Apple.

What I am saying is that a similarly specced machine by Dell, IBM or Sony for example, won't be cheaper, so it is a myth to suggest that Apple machines are over-priced. But I take your point, there are very good machines available for much less than a basic Macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.