Switching in April

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
Hey,

My birthday is coming up in April, so what the heck!

Im going to switch to Mac. Im fed up with my PC, it just dosnt work for me.. I kick it all day long because its a slow thing!

I'm going to go with the MacBook 13" 1.83GHz because It will be perfect!

Portable aswell. Im in the UK and Apples are not really cheap here...

Is it worth getting a MacBook 13" Intel core 2 duo 1.83GHz with 1GB of RAM?

Anyone got one? Like it? Any problems?

Would like to hear what the Mac Community enjoys about Macintosh! I have been looking into the Mac Mini but its just not me..

OK - Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

Well I don't have a MacBook, Dean, but just wanted to say "Hi!!!" and a big welcome to Mac-Forums and to the Mac way of computing! :girl:

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
Ive said it before, if you can get the money together its better to get a MacBook Pro, but if not ANYTHING is better than going to Vista. You won' regret any Mac Purchase, but you will want a Pro if you want gaming power or heavy 3d use.

Yes you will love Mac. Picture no antivirus no spyware, no crashes, blue screens or total system freezeups. A week with yor Mac and you will wonder why you ever used windows.

Dana
"Switcher since 12-2006"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
very true 'tak'. I switched in august 2005 ! (seems ages) and havnt regretted it since. i still run windows (shiver) for my games i.e. bf2, F.E.A.R and Fs2004 but 90% of my time is in Tiger. Always buy as MUCH as you can for what money you have. Dont worry too much about the processor. RAM and HD space are good things to cocentrate on. im in the UK as well (Devon) and apple stuff is more expensive but worth it. BTW - if any apple staff are watching, i didnt say dont discount all the stuff for the UK.

enjoy your experince.

chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
I would have to dissagree with ya guys a lil bit in recommending the Pro unless you really need it. Just my humble opinion, but I would not chose to do my gaming or 3D work on a 15" or 17" screen.
I would say if you will not being doing games or require a dedicated vid card for design, you would be buying something 2X the price with no reason to justify it.
Don't get me wrong, I would love a Mac Pro, but I have a work PC for my Design work.
In my lil head, it would be like buying a Bugatti Veyron and never going faster than 55mph.

I will b getting a MacBook, for my mobile school, productivity, email all purpose needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
One thing the Macbook has over the pro is exquisite portability. I find that the 13.3" screen at 1280x800 is more than adequate for most of what I do with it. When I need more screen real estate (such as editing pictures or music) I'll hook it up to an external monitor and span it. Most of the time, however, I'll not bother and just use the LCD.

You'll find it more than speedy enough even with 1.83Ghz CPU speed. Max out the RAM though for best results.

OP
Dean786
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for giving me the info,

Basically, I want a Stylish Computer that I can surf the web, do some movies, videos play around and IM my friends..

and finally with the Mac.. no crashing etc!

Its like life is just easy, no more driver installing, no more updates.. No more VIRUSES!!!!

Would you say 2GB of RAM or 1GB? Thanks!

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
]
Its like life is just easy, no more driver installing, no more updates.. No more VIRUSES!!!!

We'll its still good to run update now and then thought its quick and painless in OS X.

And if you plan to keep it for a long time more ram is always better.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have to dissagree with ya guys a lil bit in recommending the Pro unless you really need it.

In the case of someone like me where its my primary computer it makes sense though. I couldn't get a Mac Workstation AND a laptop so I combined, but my use isn't everyones.

I know I'm old, 15 and 17 inch screens seem big to me, I remember 9 inch cga and greenscreen CRTs. A 15 inch flat screen still seems luxurious to me.
:yinyang:

OP
Dean786
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK,

Well I prefer a 13" screens, I hate 17", its just too big to carry around...

Plus I love the White, which you cant get in MacBook Pro I dont think...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Basically, I want a Stylish Computer that I can surf the web, do some movies, videos play around and IM my friends..

The cool thing about my wife and brother in law having Macbooks like me (I convinced the brother-in-law to get a Macbook pretty quickly) is doing multi-way VIDEO conferencing with iChat AV. My wife is in the hospital and my brother-in-law lives about 50 miles away. We can all talk to each other as if we were right there. All we need now is flying cars and jetpacks and the future I envisioned here in the 21st century would be realized!

As for RAM, I have 1GB, and that works well, but 2GB would be awesome. I understand you CAN even get a Macbook up to 3GB, but haven't encountered anyone (virtually or otherwise) who has gone up to that amount.

OP
Dean786
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha..

Hows the photo booth software?

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the pro will support 3 gig but I ran out of cash at 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Hi dean

Welcome to the forum and its great to see another UK user on here. I think for what you want from your computer then a mac will suit you right down to the ground.

I would imagine 1gb would be ok for what you need but at the end of the day you have to work to a budget so just try and get what you can. Whatever you do - do not buy memory from Apple - get this third party as I understand that you will pay through the nose for it. Im sure if this has changed, someone will quickly correct me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
In the case of someone like me where its my primary computer it makes sense though. I couldn't get a Mac Workstation AND a laptop so I combined, but my use isn't everyones.

I know I'm old, 15 and 17 inch screens seem big to me, I remember 9 inch cga and greenscreen CRTs. A 15 inch flat screen still seems luxurious to me.
:yinyang:

In that case I would totally agree as you need the flexibility to do what ever may come your way.
I'm sure eventually my design software will outgrow my PC, in which case I would understand where ur coming from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Cor 2 Duo 2G Ram/ 80GB HD White with SuperDrive
The MacBook works great for me. I recommend at least 2G of RAM if not 2, especially if you want to use Parallels with XP running on it. So far I have found the Core 2 Duo to be screaming fast- much better than my old Gateway with a Centrino chip in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I agree with homer j, do the upgrades yourself. I upgraded my base model 2.0 GHz MacBook with 512MB RAM and a 60GB hard drive to 2GB RAM and a 120GB hard drive for about $250, probably would be less nowadays. Paying Apple to do the same upgrade costs about $325! The great thing about the MacBook is that it is very easy to upgrade, everything is available from the battery compartment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
Hi and welcome.

I have a Core 2 Duo with 1 GB of RAM and I love it. I have been wanting to get a Mac for a while so I switched when the C2D models came out.

I think most people will say that the worst thing about the MBs are the graphics...it wasn't a problem for me because I don't play games.

My Macbook does everything I did on Windows, which wasn't much actually...just listen to music, surf the web, watch movies...

Honestly, my only issue with it is that I can't print to my printer that is connected to my Windows box....no big deal I haven't printed anything in ages...I can just run down and connect it to the USB cable.

Other than the printing thing I am very happy with my Macbook.

There is nothing like relaxing in a comfortable seat with a Macbook listening to music...

M

MacHeadCase

plusfortyfour, how is watching videos on your MacBook? Is it playing smoothly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.