Just switched - observations and question

Reaction score
You know, gotta give it to the ad company that came up with the mac/pc commercials. I've been a msft user since the dos days and didn't ever think about switching, until Vista. The security ad is what did it for me, I signed up to beta test vista and the accept/decline stuff really pisd me off. So I started looking at macs, and here I am - traded a friend an old snowboard I never use for his old G4 tower. Let's put it this way - I'm so impressed I'm looking into a MacBook Pro in the next 6 months. Amazing machines! As many people have commented, it's just much more intuitive, secure, stable and fun!

So my question. I have a rather large music collection, mostly live mp3s. My home folders path is on a small disk that won't come close to the capacity I need to house my collection in my music folder. Sooo... can I change the path of my music folder to point to another HD? or.. should I just add an icon to my home folder that points to a music dir on another drive?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Welcome to the Forums, cleverOne!

If all of your music is represented in iTunes, you can point iTunes to an external drive by:

1. Open iTunes preferences.
2. Click the Advanced icon (gear).
3. Under General, you'll see the location of the music folder.
4. Simply point it to the folder you'd like to use.

Hope you stick around!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yes, you can either move the music collection to a different disk and then tell iTunes (I assume you're using iTunes) that the location of your library is there, or move it to a different disk and put an alias to that location where iTunes thinks it currently is located.

I used to keep my iTunes library on an external firewire disk and used the alias method to trick it into thinking it was in my home folder.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I've changed my music fold in itunes to point to my music directory, so itunes is fine. I think the alias idea is the solution I'm looking for, I'd like to keep using my Home window and the designated folders, so placing an alias that points to the other HD dir. should do the trick.

That was easy.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.