Win->Mac Printer Sharing

A

Ashcrow

Is it posible to use a shared printer contected directly to a Win box on the network using OS X? If so, how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Yes, I believe you need to look into something called CUPS. What kind of printer is it and how is it hooked up?

OP
A

Ashcrow

It is an HP 540 Deskjet that is hooked up to the LPT1 port on a Windows Box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would look at http://www.cups.org/ for more info. I will keep my eye open for more info as well.

OP
A

Ashcrow

Worked like a charm. I didn't realize how much of the same software Mac OS X uses that I am use to in Linux. This is great! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So that CUPS worked for you? The printer I have isn't/wasn't supported so I never got it to work.

OP
H

hokiethang

im actually trying to connect to a CUPS server on my other linux machine with no success. It was fairly easy to connect to the win2k3 print server in my office, but i cant get it to link with the linux printer in my office. Any ideas, maybe a how-to?

OP
A

Ashcrow

hokiethang said:
im actually trying to connect to a CUPS server on my other linux machine with no success. It was fairly easy to connect to the win2k3 print server in my office, but i cant get it to link with the linux printer in my office. Any ideas, maybe a how-to?

Actually, the best place to ask questions about Linux is at linuxjunior.org. I had no problems with CUPS and using my printer under Red Hat Linux. It worked in the exact same manaer as it did under Mac OS X.

OP
H

hokiethang

well im trying to connect my mac to the cups server. the linux machine can print to the printer fine, i just cant get the mac to print to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.