Problems with loading a Large Jpeg from CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33GHz, 2GB memory, 160GB HHD,ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256MB SDRAM
Hi All,

Newbie alert here..

I picked up my MacBook Pro 17" just today, and i seem to be having problems with reading images i have on a cd-rom.

The file is a 6.5MB JPEG, when i double click on the image to load it from the cd-rom, it takes well over an hour to load. Its like its loading line by line.

Where as if i pop the same cd-rom and load the image from my win-xp pc it loads just like that.

Not sure what is wrong here, any pointer's would be kindly appreciated...

Thanks Heaps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
A complete stab in the dark but did you close the CD when you burnt it on the PC? Maybe the Mac is having difficulty in reading the disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What happens if you drag the file onto the desktop?

If that takes a long time, there's some problem with the way the disc is written probably.

I'm impressed you waited an hour for an image to load!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33GHz, 2GB memory, 160GB HHD,ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256MB SDRAM
A complete stab in the dark but did you close the CD when you burnt it on the PC? Maybe the Mac is having difficulty in reading the disc.

Not exactly sure what you mean by close the CD?

I read somewhere that Mac's DVD-Rom can be alittle difficult with minor scratches on CD-Rom's when it comes to read... can anyone confirm?

thanking you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Close as in finalise i.e. you can't add any more files to the CD

no the cd-rom isnt full if thats what you mean...

thanks to all for your comments..

result... used my pc to get to the files, and moved them to my laptop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Long JPEG files can cause problems to anyone, sometimes its better to copy them to the hard drive, it is faster than the CD/DVD drive. Laptops drives are slower than desktop drives, so it's normal if your desktop can access the files faster than your laptop. If you are running low on RAM that will increase the problem.

I have had similar problems with my iBook loading big PDFs from the CD. I used to copy all the files to my hard drive and then read/use them, that works for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.