• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Extremely Important!!!!

Reaction score
Does anybody own a Panasonic VDR-M55 Video Camera? Its not DV. Its a DVD camcorder. It requires a DVD Ram driver. If anyone knows if this will work on a macbook pro. Please Please Please!!! Let me know! :bomb: Thank you.

Reaction score
First of all, using a descriptive thread title will get more people to help you.

Panasonic doesn't list a Mac driver on their website, but importing video from it shouldn't be a problem with iMovie. Just play the disc and let iMovie record the output.

OP
M
Reaction score
as soon as I plug the usb 2.0 cord into my camera the play, forward, rewind etc. buttons are no longer funtionable. Its sort of like a normal DVD movie where you have the save it to the hard drive of your computer if you want to edit it. If I could connect through the A/V it might work but there are no such connections on the computer (not including the output). I have a special program that came with the camcorder that saves the video to the computer. As far as I know it is a windows only program. Its the only program (that i know of) that will save the video to the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
USB isn't supported.

Buying a universal AV switch, like this one, will allow you to use your camera's video out function to import the video.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thats great, but it seems like it isn't compatible with panther, not to mention leopard. Unless of course the site hasnt been updated in awhile. Does anyone know if .vob is compatible with imovie and/or final cut. If I finalize the disc they turn into .vob files.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Thats great, but it seems like it isn't compatible with panther, not to mention leopard. Unless of course the site hasnt been updated in awhile. Does anyone know if .vob is compatible with imovie and/or final cut. If I finalize the disc they turn into .vob files.

You need a DVD ripper program that converts to DV.

HandBrake will convert to Mp4 and Quicktime Pro will convert from Mp4 to DV or possibly iMovie can read Mp4 directly.

Amen-Moses

OP
M
Reaction score
By converting to mp4 and than DV wouldn't that kill the quality of my video? It puzzles me why panasonic would make something so limitiing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By converting to mp4 and than DV wouldn't that kill the quality of my video? It puzzles me why panasonic would make something so limitiing.

That depends on how it is encoded, if they have encoded at close to 100% quality (or maybe there is a setting on the camera that allows that?) then no, but if they have encoded for smaller filesize then yes you will be losing some quality.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Alll I Can Say Is Do Not Put A Mini Dvd Into Your Slot Loading Drive!!!!! There Is A Reason This Post Is In Caps Lock... You Will Not Be Able To Get It Out.

edit: they converted this to lower case letters?

OP
M
Reaction score
i'll take your advice to not put a mini dvd into the drive.. hmm.. wonder if apple will supper mini dvds at some point?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i'll take your advice to not put a mini dvd into the drive.. hmm.. wonder if apple will supper mini dvds at some point?

At least not on a slot-loading drive, which is one of the reasons that Apple is able to make the Mac notebooks so thin. You can, however, pick up a cheap USB-external DVD drive.

BTW, regardless of whether it's a Mac or even your car's CD player, don't ever pop a mini-CD or DVD into a slot-loading drive. It's not easy to get back out and can damage the drive/player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, regardless of whether it's a Mac or even your car's CD player, don't ever pop a mini-CD or DVD into a slot-loading drive. It's not easy to get back out and can damage the drive/player.

Not to mention the horrible rattling noise it makes. ;)

Amen-Moses

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Maybe that just didn't think it was extremely important.

awesome.
icon14.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.