Right Click Configuration

sph

Reaction score
I know this is just another stupid right-click ex-windows user question, but I am going to replace the standard might mouse that came with my 24" iMac and wanted to know if I buy a third party mouse that has a right click option, will it work with the Mac OS? More importantly will the right click option work in OSX and perform the same function as a Command + click?

Help! thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Yes... it will work no different than your mighty mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
its actually ctrl click

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
My standard 2 button USB mouse works great with my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just fyi: Your mighty mouse can also be set to right click.. check the system preferences.

OP
S

sph

Reaction score
Re: Right Click

I understand that a third party mouse will work OK, but I need to know whether the right click button will work the same as using Ctrl-click?

Also, someone mentioned that you can use right click with the might mouse by configuring this in the system preferences. I checked that and I dont see any option to do this in OSx. Can anyone provide further detail on it? thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I understand that a third party mouse will work OK, but I need to know whether the right click button will work the same as using Ctrl-click?

Also, someone mentioned that you can use right click with the might mouse by configuring this in the system preferences. I checked that and I dont see any option to do this in OSx. Can anyone provide further detail on it? thanks!

Yes, a standard 2-button mouse will function as it does on a PC with the right-click being what is normally a CTRL-click. Additionally, if you want more control over the mouse's features (like if it has special non-standard buttons) a program like Steermouse will allow you to tweak it to your heart's content assuming that the mouse doesn't come with its own Mac drivers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Did your Mighty Mouse come with your intel Mac or did you buy it after you bought the Mac? If it came with it, the control panel is there to set the right button to right click. If not, you install the software that came with the Mighty Mouse. Also BE SURE to lift your left finger before pressing on the right side or the right click will not work. Set the Right side to SECONDARY BUTTON. See Pic below.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
S

sph

Reaction score
thanks very much for the help, but the tumbnail image you attached is too small to read and when I enlarge it its too pixelated to read.

I'm aware of how to use the system preferences but there is still no option to change any of the buttons on the might mouse to a right click option. In fact, the picture of the mouse in the system preferences doesnt seem to make any sense. It points to three parts of the top of the mouse...but there are no buttons there ??!?? From what I can see, there is a scroll wheel button, and 2 side buttons, along with the main button.

Maybe I'm just losing it...:(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
thanks very much for the help, but the tumbnail image you attached is too small to read and when I enlarge it its too pixelated to read.

I'm aware of how to use the system preferences but there is still no option to change any of the buttons on the might mouse to a right click option. In fact, the picture of the mouse in the system preferences doesnt seem to make any sense. It points to three parts of the top of the mouse...but there are no buttons there ??!?? From what I can see, there is a scroll wheel button, and 2 side buttons, along with the main button.

Maybe I'm just losing it...:(

The picture shows you how to set it and looks fine when I click on it on every system here in the house. Looks clear as a bell. Something is wrong somewhere. You CLICK on the Thumbnail and it expands right in your browser.

The Mighty Mouse has no buttons. It has Touch Sensitive Areas and the Scroll Ball is a button so to speak.

OP
S

sph

Reaction score
sorry...guess I just cant seem to figure this out. I have the "left" area set as the primary button, and the "right" as the secondary button. But no matter what I click, the result is the same. There seems to be no difference between the right and left clicks.

M

MacHeadCase

You are using a Mighty Mouse, yes?

The right and left click sensors are very sensitive. If you leave one finger on the left side while you click the right side, the Apple mouse will register only a left-click.

When you right-click, try lifting all your fingers, except the one that clicks on the right side, off of the mouse. See if this works better. Let us know how it goes...

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
My G4 server is using a Logitech trackball it works just fine, I wish they had two buttons on the MBP. : /

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Not sure how relevant it is, but on the MB and MBP, tapping the trackpad with two fingers, or leaving two fingers on the trackpad while clicking the regular button also acts as a "right click".

As far as the Mighty Mouse is concerned, I finally just found it to be too sensitive. I loved having the "squeeze" buttons on the side to activate Expose, but the erratic behaviour of the touch sensitive surface was just a little too much for me.

Plus, my Logitech Bluetooth Mini mousie just matches my MBP better. ;)

OP
S

sph

Reaction score
Nope. sorry. It just doesnt work. No matter how softly I click it on either the right or the left side, the result is the same. Not sure whether this is just me or if the mouse is defective. It seems like even if it did work, it would rather sensitive and annoying.

The configuration I have in my mouse settings is that the "left" click is the primary button, and the "right" click is the secondary button. The squeeze buttons on either side are set for Expose All Windows. And my scroll button in the middle is set to my dashboard.

Not sure what else to do...:(

M

MacHeadCase

Ok first things first. Just to make sure we're on the same page here:

You won't see any secondary button, you only see a smooth shell on the Mighty Mouse surface. The sensors are under the plastic shell:

attachment.php

As dtravis pointed out earlier in this thread you need to configure the buttons by going to the System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse tab. By clicking on the drop-down menus you can select which action you want the button to have. In Apple's jargon Primary Button means left-click, Secondary button means right-click.

A member here found out that the sensors (image I posted just above) are ultra sensitive so you need to raise your fingers off the mouse when you right-click otherwise the sensors think you are actually left-clicking. It's not a question of how much pressure you apply for the click. it's if the sensors feel a weight, however slight, on the left side, the mouse registers a left-click. So by raising your fingers off the mouse, only keeping the one that taps on right side, it will work unless it is a defective unit.

I hope I am being clear here.

So if you can't get anything working with the mouse, I would suggest you take it back to an Apple Store and get a replacement.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just to be sure, when you are pressing on the right front for a right click your left finger is not in contact with the left front or any part of the left top? If yes then it's defective. Take it back to Apple and show them.

Great Pic there MHC!! That is exactly the pattern of the Sensors!!

Reaction score
I purchased a Logitech tracker ball and the right click works just fine with it.

OP
S

sph

Reaction score
thanks for everyone's replies. And especially MacHeadCase for the picture...it was very helpful. I guess I just have a defective unit. Not matter what I try, there is no right click. Even if I gently press on the right side of the mouse on the "right sensor", it clicks the same as if I'm left clicking. There is just no difference. I guess I have to go back to Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.