• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Corleones vs. Sopranos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'm Italian, and as an Italian I enjoy all things mafia (well, fictional mafia atleast, I can't imagine any person wanting to actually live that way). The biggest question on my mind has always been whether the Corleones or the Sopranos would win in a showdown. So, I thought I'd put up a poll here and make Mac-Forums the place for the final decision.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh, the shame...

i'm Italian also (about 75%). my dirty secret? i've never seen the godfather. i've seen bits and pieces, but never the whole thing.

i feel bad answering this without that knowledge, but i do like the sopranos. i hear the sopranos' house is in north caldwell. right next door to where i grew up in caldwell and west caldwell.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
oh, the shame...

i'm Italian also (about 75%). my dirty secret? i've never seen the godfather. i've seen bits and pieces, but never the whole thing.

Tsk, tsk, the first two movies are classics. The first is my favorite movie of all time. The third one was decent at best, but no classic.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it's on a big list of must sees:

the godfather
citizen kane
the great escape
rear window
donnie darko
pat garrett and billy the kid (allong with many other pekinpah movies)
barry lyndon
the treasure of the sierra madre
on the waterfront
ran

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Eric, up until last year I felt the exact same shame you are feeling now. I finally got around to watching the 1st 2 and now cannot recommend them enough. I still need to watch the 3rd one but would rather sit through 1 and 2 again, maybe I'll have to make a day of it and do all 3...

Also, how did you get access to my "must-see" list on IMDB....?

By the way, love the Sopranos but the Corleones would be all over them like an amorous blanket.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
heh. that was off the top of my head mostly. there are plenty of others, and lots of movies i've either seen a long time ago, or have only seen parts of that i either want to see again, or buy on dvd, such as akira kurosawa's dreams and empire of the sun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
empire of the sun

And there you go again... I've been meaning to pick that up for a while now then saw it 2 days ago for about £4. And there was I, completely skint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
good Lord, the Corleones would stomp them - no question.

And yes, I'm Italian too - and proud of it.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like the Corleones have the lead right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hmmm... such a shame, the Sopranos are getting out voted. IMHO, the best drama show on television today. Year after year, the Sopranos have consistently dished up truly excellent viewing.

Awright, here's the deal! Vote for Sopranos or I'm gonna sic Pauli or Silvio on you. Trust me, you don't want that!!! Nice knees you have there... youse wouldn't want anything happening to them now would you... :dive: :dive:

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... such a shame, the Sopranos are getting out voted. IMHO, the best drama show on television today. Year after year, the Sopranos have consistently dished up truly excellent viewing.

Awright, here's the deal! Vote for Sopranos or I'm gonna sic Pauli or Silvio on you. Trust me, you don't want that!!! Nice knees you have there... youse wouldn't want anything happening to them now would you... :dive: :dive:

Hold on there, dealing with Sonny Corleone is no walk in the park either. (We're assuming that all members of both families are alive.)

Reaction score
Luca Brasi? Does he still swim with the fishes?

Corleone family if Luca is allowed out to play.

Reaction score
I can't believe it's so close. Sure, Sopranos is a good show and fun to watch, but we're talking about a crime family that puts the "dis" in "dysfunctional." The boss hallucinates, the kids are on drugs, people within and close to the family talk to the feds on a regular basis ... I mean come on, for a season half the "family's" life revolved around a demented old hag (Tony's mother).

Sorry ... I'd let the Corleones watch my back anytime.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Luca Brasi? Does he still swim with the fishes?

Corleone family if Luca is allowed out to play.

Yeah, like I said, we're assuming that everyone in both families are alive.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a good thing I didn't put the Goodfellas guys in here, because Pesci would scare me more than the both of the other families combined.

Reaction score
There's no comparison. The Corleones was one of the five families that ruled N.Y. in the past and still has a tight grip on the city. Not as much as in the past but still controls. Mario Puzo just changed the name and story outline, so he wouldn't get wacked.;-) Remember family members warned him and admonished him not to go to far with the book and film, in reveiling secreats. Sopranos are a bunch of small time hoods in Jersey wanting to be part of the five families. La famiglia di Corleone è victorious qui.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.