help with hidden files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
I read a recent post about an app called disapear that I could use to hide private files.

I used it to hide a folder with all my personal stuff. When i opened the app yesterday, my folder had a ? instead of hide/show.... I tried removing the folder from the list to see if it would be visible and now it's still not anywhere that I can find it.

Anybody know how I can get this folder back???? i cant get to it at ll now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
to show the Hidden file again using the terminal type (better yet.. copy/paste) the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES;killall Finder

Then to HIDE the "Hidden Files" Type (again, might want to just copy/paste) the following in the Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles;killall Finder

You can also use the ONYX Parameters to "Show Hidden Files"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For anyone interested... To make a hidden Folder that can not be seen do the following:

Make a new folder somewhere easy for you to remember... To do this:
1) Open the finder window go into the "Home" Folder (will place it there).
2) Right click on an empty part of the finder Window.. select "New Folder".
3) Name the folder.. Let's use "p0rn"... Just for fun
4) Now go into the Terminal and type (best to copy/paste) the following:

mv ~/p0rn ~/.p0rn

Press enter after pasting the command
Note the "." in front of the second folder name

5) The folder and any/all of the contents within it are HIDDEN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now that the the folder is hidden the easiest way to get back into the contents it open the the Finder window go the the "HOME" folder (see.. No "p0rn" folder)... Now press APPLE+SHIFT+G
A Window will roll out of the top of the finder window that Says: "Go To Folder:" Type the following (don't forget the ".") .p0rn
press ENTER

Viola... you are in your "hidden" folder, and can now access your... um... stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Interesting RIDE, but not truly secure. Anyone with a modicum of command line knowledge can see your hidden ...um... stuff, with the simple Terminal.app command:

Code:
ls -a
The "-a" option shows "all" files, including the hidden ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
This is true Mac57... anyone with a little terminal savvy can find ANY file ANYwhere... But the hidden files are out of sight to the VAST majority of people that do not have that terminal savvy.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
This is true Mac57... anyone with a little terminal savvy can find ANY file ANYwhere... But the hidden files are out of sight to the VAST majority of people that do not have that terminal savvy.

:D

dude, what happend to takin the cloak off? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seem to recall that there is a better way to hide files but don't remember what it is. I know for example that Mac OS X itself has lots of hidden files and folders that don't start with a dot.

A challenge to the Mac cognosenti out there: how do you create a file or folder whose name DOESN'T start with a dot and make it hidden. I *know* that there is a way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
For anyone interested... To make a hidden Folder that can not be seen do the following:

Make a new folder somewhere easy for you to remember... To do this:
1) Open the finder window go into the "Home" Folder (will place it there).
2) Right click on an empty part of the finder Window.. select "New Folder".
3) Name the folder.. Let's use "p0rn"... Just for fun
4) Now go into the Terminal and type (best to copy/paste) the following:

mv ~/p0rn ~/.p0rn

Press enter after pasting the command
Note the "." in front of the second folder name

5) The folder and any/all of the contents within it are HIDDEN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now that the the folder is hidden the easiest way to get back into the contents it open the the Finder window go the the "HOME" folder (see.. No "p0rn" folder)... Now press APPLE+SHIFT+G
A Window will roll out of the top of the finder window that Says: "Go To Folder:" Type the following (don't forget the ".") .p0rn
press ENTER

Viola... you are in your "hidden" folder, and can now access your... um... stuff.

Would simply not renaming the file in the finder except putting a dot in front hide it?

Select pr0n in Finder
Single Click to Rename
type .pr0n
Hidden?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Would simply not renaming the file in the finder except putting a dot in front hide it?

Select pr0n in Finder
Single Click to Rename
type .pr0n
Hidden?

OSX won't allow it... you'll get a pop-up saying "." files are for System files only...

You can make a hidden file (this is how I do it) straight with the Terminal mkdir .<whatever>

I just thinks it's easier for most people to make the Folder with finder, then simply rename/move "mv" the folder to a "." making it hidden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea just got that...

However you can do it if you are showing the Hidden Files, then you can just change the normal one to a Hidden One. That's how I done it anyway.

Apart from Copy and Pasting the Code for Terminal was quiet easy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Yea just got that...

However you can do it if you are showing the Hidden Files, then you can just change the normal one to a Hidden One. That's how I done it anyway.

Apart from Copy and Pasting the Code for Terminal was quiet easy

IMO it's a lot easier to just right click make a folder.. then simply use the "mv" command in the terminal...

as apposed to the: Open Terminal use the "Show hidden Files" command... create the Hidden folder... Go back into Terminal use the "HIDE hidden Files" command... Exit Terminal.

But hey... We all have different preferences. :D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 3rd Generation, 16 GB, Black, WiFi only
My GF sends me pics I'd like to keep private, especially, since we are always in that Apple store. So will this technique hide photos from an Apple Genius?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It depends on how much of a "genius" he/she is... and how nosey. :D

The best thing to do would be to place a password protected .dmg within an invisible folder... That way, one would have to first find the invisible folder, then crack the password to access the .dmg (very difficult if your password is long, and uses both numbers and letters).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks RIDE, I'll try that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two words: Vanessa Hudgens

If your GF is sending you private pictures, makes sure that you keep them in an encrypted .dmg virtual volume. Otherwise, you never know where they might end up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RIDE, mac57,

Can't seem to figure out how to create a .dmg virtual volume. This would be like an icon like a flash drive, etc. but would be set up for my private files, correct? Saving my GFs pics to this volume, then adding a password, then making it invisible, correct?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Should I be concerned about cached thumbnails? I know some pics appear in the preview window in list mode, but are unaccessible when the file is selected (usually the file is in the trash).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple provides a step by step "recipe" for creating an encrypted .dmg file here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

As for cached thumbnails, I tracked this down myself when I first got a Mac, but never did find any place that Macs do this. In my case, I was worried about keeping "trash" cleaned up - I didn't want an ever expanding cache of useless thumbnails (if you know Linux, think about the ~/.thumbnails directory... it just grows and grows and grows...), but as far as I could ever tell, Macs don't do this. I would welcome anyone who knows differently to please post back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mac57, I'll have to read that and try it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
How about you send a sample of those pics and we'll do some screenshots to show you how to make a encrypted .dmg.... lol only jkin

To make an encrypted .dmg open disk utility (spotlight for it) click on new image, give it a name, where you wana save it and what size u want it, and for encryption choose AES-128.

Reaction score
Hidden Folder in a Volume

Hello,
what are the commands in Terminal to hide a folder in a volume(on my desktop) or a folder on my desktop.

Basically what I am doing is creating a Volume that will autoOpen when the disc is inserted and I want the folder to have an image in the background, so the background image folder needs to be hidden.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.