New Mac user

Reaction score
Hi all. Not REALLY a switcher, more of a "adding another OS to the stable" user. ;)

I'm a software engineer by day and a budding author by night. (IE I get paid for one, not yet for the other.) I run both Linux and Windows at home and work. However I've been looking for a small light laptop for my writing and really liked software I found for OS X.

I stopped by the Mac store this weekend and played around with a MacBook a bit. Very slick window manager. I hit CTRL+E by mistake (habit) and was stunned when the Mac jumped my cursor to the end of the line. Tried a few other of my favorite Linux keyboard shortcuts. All worked. Started to feel very much at home.

Since I've been itching to play around with a new OS anyway....

The new laptop is a Mac. MacBook on order and I can't wait to start playing around with it. Now to read through all the case threads and find a good one for it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Congrats on your purchase!! You'll fall in love with your Macbook within a matter of minutes. :black:

There is a ton of information for new Mac users. I suggest checking out the various pinned threads. The one I found most useful when I first bought my Macbook was the Switcher's Guide to OS X software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi tandaina, welcome! I am sure you will enjoy your MacBook.

As a Linux user, you may wish to check out my Linux to Mac Switcher's guide. It is a switcher's guide written from a Linux perspective, containing lots of Linux friendly information plus lots of generally useful stuff like how to maintain your Mac, a list of critical apps you will want to get quickly and the like.

Check out http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Welcome. I also am a software professional and use Windows and Linux at the office on a daily basis. For personal and everything else I have a Macbook.

You will probably find after about six months or so that you will prefer to use your Macbook for everything you possibly can. I have a Linux desktop at the office which I use for official work business, a Windows Dell laptop for when I absolutely have to, but the Macbook is used whenever I possibly can.

There are still a few quirks...when I'm using either my Linux or Windows machines I forget that it's the Alt key, not Command, and have to stop myself just before I realize that there isn't Exposé on those computers. :D

So I curse briefly, then turn back to my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
hi tandaina,

I promise you'll love your Macbook. I just got my Macbook almost a month ago. First time using Mac OS X - but was happy to see some similar items from Linux. :D

If you need help, you've got a good source of information here in mac-forums.com.

Again, welcome to the club.

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. :)

Thanks especially for the Linux -> Mac guide. My Windows use is decidedly "end user" as opposed to "power user" so I'll probably get more out of a Linux guide.

I imagine the MacBook will take over 90% of my home computing. I use the Windows machine for gaming which I'm afraid I am having less and less time for. I use Linux for "projects". But its my Dell laptop that had gotten to be the most used computer in the house. However it was bit as a boat (first laptop didn't realize what I really wanted).

Ordered it last night and used their free shipping so I imagine it won't be here until late next week. Now I've just got to practice patience. NOT a strong point. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.