• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ripping DVD problem

Reaction score
I have been playing around with mac the ripper and handbrake and have had no luck. I have gone through the forums a few times and read everything I could find but still nothing. I used mac the ripper and it ran for about 40 mins and I ended up with a file 1GB less then the original. Im not too worried about the size right now but the problem is the file is divided in chapters and gives me an error when I play one of the chapters in VLC. So I tried Handbrake and it ran for 5 hours and the file I ended up with was 2.3MB and 25 seconds long. So I went from 7.5GB to 2.3MB and got the opening scene but it ran for 5 hours......I'm running this on a powerbook G4 867mhz 512ram 60GB drive which is empty. I have followed recomendations on settings and what not and this is what I end up with....Both coppies are useless. Mac the ripper was quick but how do i get it all into 1 file.

I am trying to keep a copy on the hard drive not burn it to a DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.