Connect to a Windows share using a UNC path?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Quick question for the group:

I've grown accustomed to opening the Network virtual drive, digging through my company's domain and then eventually digging down and finding the share I want and connecting to it. Although this is a cumbersome process, it does the job. However, on Windows machines, you can easily connect to a share by clicking Start -> Run, typing the UNC path (\\servername\sharename) and hitting Enter. Or you can "map" a drive by specifying a drive letter and then typing the UNC path.

Is it possible to do the same or similar with OS X, rather than digging through server names using Finder?

TIA

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nevermind, I figured it out (duh!)

Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server

Works great.

Reaction score
assistance requesed

Hi cwa107, could you possibly email me regarding this? I am new to mac and am switching from a PC network and am having problems with this. Thanks!:Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assistance is provided through our forums not by private email. Ask your question in the appropriate forum (Networking) where it can be viewed by all and answered there. Also take note that you replied to a thread that is 5 years old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.