my first gripe about OS X

Reaction score
I click on the HDD icon and it pulls up the HDD window. if I mistakenly pull any of the icons from the left dock out and release them, there's a 'poof' and they're gone.
'
'network' and 'photos' icons are gone, can I restore them? can I lock them down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Not sure about locking them down but you can find them with a spotlight search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Finder > Preferences
Click the "Sidebar" tab
Check off the items from the list that you want

For any other items (Like Pictures) just drag them into the sidebar.

Reaction score
to get Network back, go to Finder>Preferences and tick Show Network

to get Pictures back, go to your user's Home folder, then drag the Pictures folder into the sidebar

edit: too late..

OP
Digger
Reaction score
to get Network back, go to Finder>Preferences and tick Show Network

to get Pictures back, go to your user's Home folder, then drag the Pictures folder into the sidebar

edit: too late..

where is the user's home folder located? if I run a spotlight search I get the pictures folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
See the post by Technologist above...

FINDER>>>Preferences>>>Sidebar>>> Tick the items you want to see in the Finder window (i.e. When you double-click the HDD icon)

OP
Digger
Reaction score
Macintosh HD>Users>[your user name]

it's the one with the house icon in the sidebar

got it back, thanks to you and all who answered. the 'house icon' simplified it. learning OS X can be so simple and very frustrating at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The 'puff' tells you you've dragged something out of the dock. Just drag and drop icons into the dock to keep it there, or drag out onto the desktop to get rid of it.

The icons in the dock are just shortcuts - you won't delete the program by removing the icon from the dock.

Simple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Just don't start moving your Home folder around too much..I did that. I lost all my pictures, my Keychains, my Music too. Luckily I had it all all backed up.

Reaction score
Digger,
I am also fairly new to OS X and sometimes find it frustrating. But, by far the best piece of advice I got from a forum was "Remember, it isn't XP!" It got me through a lot of "but in XP I would do it like this" and "What just happened" moments.
Mikeylee
(originally posted on 03-13-07 @ 0706, appears on the thread......)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.