Creating Icons (Gimp?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
I couldn't decide between posting this question here or in the Software and Applications forum, so hopefully this is the right place.

I'm curious to know how everyone creates icons. I've been trying to create some of my own by altering others using GIMP.app. The problem I'm having is once I get the image created, how do I save it. It won't let me save it without an extension, and saving it as a *.png, for example, makes the icon the ".png file" icon. Trying to import that using CandyBar makes the applications icon the *.png file, not the newly created image. I've tried all different extensions, including *.ico and *.icns. Any thoughts? Do I need another application?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
yeah, best to use your image editing app in conjunction with other apps. For example, I use severals apps called FastIcns, Iconographer, Pixadex and occasionally a menu bar addon called Pinki. Iconographer will give you the most options, but it can be a little hard to get used to. I highly recommend FastIcns, as it's very simple to use and works with most file formats.

With that, you should be able to just drag your .png file onto the open app, and choose save from the menu. Pixadex is great for storing icon files as a library, and deals with just about all image files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.