• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple bitten by ad watchdog

M

Mr.Guvernment

Interesting - i know the Australian Government forced apple to remove their claims of fastest personal computer on the aussie apple site some time ago....

Apple bitten by ad watchdog

You lied about being fast

By INQUIRER staff: Monday 29 March 2004, 06:49

SOMEONE IN Apple's marketing mob must have been smoking something really interesting when they thought they could promote the Power Mac G5 as the "fastest, most powerful PC." When the laughter in the IT industry died down, Dell decided to milk Apple's marketing mistake and lay a complaint with the US watchdog the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15015

OP
W

WilliS

anyone who posts a formal write up on a company, and then lacks the vocabulary to come up with anything better than "cock-up", cant be taken for a grain of salt in my opinion...but thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Load of hot air! The dual G5 when running apps designed to exploit the 64 bit capability will out perform the present best intel or AMD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well actually Im not sure about that at this point.. PC's and Mac keep switching for fastest "personal" computer.. it depends on when you ask. Once they come out with the new G5's, Mac will probably be the fastest once again... So it's kind of a silly claim since that's the nature of things. Anyways whoever wrote that article.. I think we can tell which direction he swings :)

OP
W

WilliS

yea..i agree...

when the g5's were *first* released, they were the fastest computer out...

then amd came out with opteron, which rivals it for best... but i still see evidence that the g5 is superior

the funny thing is... its amost a year old guys...i would HOPE pc manufacturers could conjure up SOMETHING that rivals the g5 after almost a whole year of it being out...

by the time they have surely beaten it, the new g5s will rock their world once again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I base what I said on a test I read where even playing field testing showed performance between 60 - 80% better on the part of the G5, - but I agree in 6 minutes the intel can be shown running some weird app faster, comparing is really hard. And as long as the box suits the apps, and if it's pc I hope they like worms :p just kidding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should take a look at the mac observer.. I believe is where I saw it.. they have an article on this thing between Dell and Apple.. and read the comments at the end of the article also.. quite an interesting read.

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

Yes, this source is PC biased and it also WELL WELL know for rumours that are not true - i mean look @ the sites name :D

But also true the G5 is aging now so the PC market should have something out - but this all goes back to the testing - each side will say

"the code was not optimized, this was turned on, while it was turned off here blah blah blah."

Until there is a fair way to test both platforms as close as possible as one can - then who knows what the truth is :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here here! Exactly

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

:) so lets just all admit that Pc's are so much better ;)

P.S - that was a joke - not that i am saying Apple is the best either :p

OP
S

secondshadow

Well....actually....a decent way to compare them would be compiling the same source code with fairly similar optimizations, and I don't mean small bits of source, I mean automating an entire Gentoo linux installation (I've done it) and then taking a look at individual package build times. I say that because I've compared a few build times and they are typically within about a minute of each other but at least one rather large package was 20-25 minutes faster on my Athlon64 3200+ w/ 1Gig of ram than it was on another Gentooer's Dual G5 1.8 w/ 2Gigs of ram, though you have to make sure that a good number of controls are in place if you are really just looking at the processor (eg memory timings need to be the same, harddrives should be the same model if at all possible, ect).

Reaction score
Quote: anyone who posts a formal write up on a company, and then lacks the vocabulary to come up with anything better than "cock-up", cant be taken for a grain of salt in my opinion...but thanks anyway

Cock-up is a legit British English idiomatic expression a zillion years old, and The Inquirer site is English. No vocabulary is missing. I hesitated to mention this, but it might help to put out a small fire, although the quoted post goes back to March.

In the words of George Bernard Shaw, England and America are two countries separated by the same language.

OP
M

Matt

I am an Australian you see, and I remember those "G5- the worlds fastest personal computer" ad's, and that was the ONLY ad that Apple has released in Australia that I can remember...

No wonder Apple have such a limited market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Despite my Mac bias, I have to admit that they're right about the laughter in the IT industry. Anybody with half a brain thats done their homework knows that no G5 can keep up to even a 32 bit PC, let alone a psuedo-64 bit AMD Opteron.

That said, I'd sure love to have a dual 3 GHz G5 when they come out. :D

OP
L

liz10surfing

Please We all no it Pc world nows it and Macworld nows it PowerMac g5 simply gets beated my Amd. Pc world exact Quote "Even the dual Powermac G5 had problems keeping up With A single Amd Athlon 64" PowerMac g5 did well in Photoshop but everywhere elses they were lost to the Amd" But Opteron creamed apple in photoshop tests. What can I say Apples are never ment to be fast. And no even when it was released it wasnt the fastest computer it was still slower than a pentium 4 3.2ghz at many applications and they have hollywood l computuers wich have 3.8ghz EE which They have bnchmarks in their sitewhich beat the Powermac g5 dual 2ghz in every possible way even photoshop. The thinh is that macs werent created for speed if they were how come they get barely 60fps on unreal tournament while other pc are going above and beyond 300fps. That my Point but I think Apples are the Best still cause of OSx and there just plain old sexy MAn that is why I bought a mac in the first place.

OP
L

liz10surfing

witeshark said:
Load of hot air! The dual G5 when running apps designed to exploit the 64 bit capability will out perform the present best intel or AMD

HAHAH U MAKE ME LAUGH I love macs but I dont lie about them hey did you check out Macworld latley saing that a g5 getting Hammered by a single Amd hey I have both Amd athlon And G5 the Amd will win just about anything HandsDown Please Dont be Silly A g5 can barely Keep up with A pentium 4 3.4ghz how in the world can it beat Amd explain that I have benchmarks to prove it. Do a goole search and type Powermac g5 vs Amd and you will find stuff like Amd beats Fastes Apple Powermac G5 Worlds fastest Coputer Loses agianst Amd. Apple dosent have worlds fastest computer G5 slaughtered by Amd LOL APPLE ARET MADE FOR SPEED JUST FOOR LOOKS BENCHMARKS BY MACWORD BACK IT UP SORRY UR WRONG ONCE AGIAN

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
liz10surfing, what your point. You said that an amd chip is faster than the G5 chip so. Both system do the job that they were designed to do. So what is the problem. The amd chip as you state works very will for games. So play games on it. The G5 works will with media applications. So work with media applications. I don't see why, this discussion, won't end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The funniest part about this discussion is that when the G5 came out it was the fastest or close to the fastest "personal computer" and now that it has been out for quite a long time, other processors have had upgrades and now they are faster.. and everyone makes it sound like they have always been faster, marketing is quite interesting, especially how people are sucked into it and grab onto whatever matches what they believe. Seriously though.. who cares? If the mac is the fastest, awesome, if a Pc is the fastest, awesome. I use my computer for the experience I get, which is OS X, now if I was a gamer.. maybe that stuff would be important.. and if it is then use whatever you think is the fastes and don't brag about it.. because most of us.. don't care :) Now if it runs the programs that I need to run.. and fast and doesnt crash, etc etc.. then I will listen, because that is pertinent to me.

Im not sure why I even wrote that.. the arguements will continue, people saying my platform is best will continue, your platform sucks, will continue.. maybe if just one person hears what I am saying and doesnt join in the "fight".. maybe it was worth me writing this..

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.