• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where Apple really got the OS X "Big Cat" names from

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Nice find DB!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
woah, great find

there was me thinking they were just thinking of breed's of 'cat' for OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I like the German tanks parallel... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
very cool find DB!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I hate when I see stories like these. It just makes me think a little less of the best company ]=

M

MacHeadCase

My first Mac was a PowerComputing PowerCenter 150 desktop model. I was so angry at Apple when they decided to shut down the Mac clone era. Looking back I now know it was the right thing to do: the Mac clones were first authorized to launch because Gil Amelio, then Apple CEO, thought it would help the Mac gain market share against Wintel. But the Mac clone makers were more innovative, had better products than Apple for a lesser price so the Mac clones were not making any dent in the Wintel market share but were predating over Apple's own market share.

As an example, if I would have bought the Apple PowerMac 7200 (with lesser specs than my PowerCenter, might I add), it would have cost me $1000CAN more than what I actually paid my Mac clone.

I heard that, when Jobs came back as CEO in 1997, His Steveness was not pleased at all that PowerComputing's G3 prototype, introduced in the Macworld show of that year, was running much faster than Apple's own G3 and that kind of sealed the fate of Mac clone makers. The clone makers were already neck deep in tough negotiation OS licensing talks with Apple for renewing their partnership: after that public humiliation, Jobs decided there were not going to be Mac clones anymore.

So Apple bought out PowerComputing, but hired the most brilliant hardware engineers from that company.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.