• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Ultimate Killer App?

Reaction score
Hi, I’m a Mac user eagerly awaiting the release of Leopard , but something has just occurred to me. It may simply be my strange way of thinking, and certainly not founded upon any marketing logic at all, or any ‘inside’ knowledge come to that, but I have this feeling that Apple are about to announce something quite unprecedented and extraordinary with their newest OS.

Could Apple have delayed this release to re-write the kernel code to enable Leopard to run on both Mac and Intel/AMD PC’s? Yes, could Apple actually offer our beloved OSX
to the masses?

The more I think about it, the more I feel it makes sense. I’m sure by now many readers of this are howling in uncontrollable laughter at such a daft suggestion! But think for moment if you would on the current state of OS systems available in PC land. With the belated arrival of Vista, it’s bloated requirement of at least 1 gig of ram, the need for existing PC users to update cards etc., the lack of some pretty important drivers, plus of course, and most importantly, the inexcusable high price of owning it, [There are countless other issues too that are presently cramming the various blogs from around the world!], it doesn’t seem like a viable option. Sure, there’s always open source Linux, a very good alternative too, but still a long way from becoming universally accepted by many. There’s also the issue of the lack of Linux driver support from leading manufacturers, though I realize this situation is improving day by day. XP remains the backbone of PC land despite the gaping security issues and seemingly never ending release of patches and fixes to keep the poor thing afloat! But it’s had its day; people are looking for the ‘new’, a system that embraces the latest technology and reliability. I hate to say it, but I wonder whether Vista really is they’re answer. Is there really a need for continuous UAC interruptions or DRM limitations to quite such a degree?

Lets face it, a Mac will always be a Mac, and I’m sure the unrivalled quality and style of it, be it a laptop or desktop, will continue to attract a growing number of buyers, even if OSX is available on the typical PC box. And although many PC buyers secretly envy our intuitive world, I couldn’t see a mass exodus of them fleeing to the ‘dark side’ just because of a few difficulties with Vista. [Goodness me, they’ve more than grown used to handling difficulties with XP!].

But, hand them the opportunity of actually being able to run on their existing PC’s a much safer and more stable Unix based OS, at nearly HALF the cost of Bill’s crazy system, and without the need to change even one piece of hardware…and you might be very surprised at the response! [Could that be landslide?]. Apple has much to gain [a far greater share of the market for starters], and as I see it, not very much to loose, if anything at all. This really could be ‘The Killer App’ of all time!

Am I crazy? Yes, I probably am, but it’s something that’s just occurred to me, and maybe a few other people too.

:bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Apple's approach has always been an end-to-end solution: one-stop shopping for both the hardware and software.

Many people (John C Dvorak being one of the more vocal ones) have said that Apple should release OSX for regular Intel boxes, but it goes against what Apple's philosophy has always been: "call us with any problem you have for hardware or software and we'll take care of you."

This topic has also been discussed at length in these forums.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Wisp.

Yeah I would really be surprised if this were the case, that Apple is planning on having Leopard run on any non-Apple box. Apple has always wanted to keep an eye not only on the quality of software but the hardware as well. So no I don't think this is the case.

I think it mostly has to do with the complexity of the new features Leopard is going to bring and Apple also wants to make sure it will be fairly backwards compatible with older Macs. I dunno where they will draw the line on the models that cannot make the Leopard jump though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.