Best Editing MP3's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
Is it Roxio's Toast 8?

I want to be able to Edit my MP3, like changing Start/Ending and even putting several Tracks together.

It's $100 CAN for the Toast, can you edit Purchased/Protected MP3's I bought from iTunes?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
itunes can change start and end times for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I use Audacity (audacity.sourceforge.net) to edit mp3/wavs. It works very well, is free, and has multi-track support.

It does have a few quirks under Mac OS, such as not saving long file names, no side scrolling, and occasionally crashing (very occasionally) but it is a pretty powerful program. I use it to break out recorded streams into individual tracks and 'twist up the ends' with fade-ins/fade-outs if a crossfade was used. Or to fix crossfaded tracks by taking a piece of the instrumental intro to paste over the part where the DJ attempted to screw up an attempted recording of a song.

You can save to .wav, or .mp3 when you're done.

As for editing songs purchased from the iTunes store, you have to do the 'burn to CD then re-import' trick to make them just a regular .wav, .aiff, or .mp3 first. Or, you can do what I do now which is run Audio HiJack Pro to record iTunes, play the song while recording, and then work on that recording. It's digital-digital, so quality loss is minimal, if at all (some audiophile will no doubt come in with a rant.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
....can you edit Purchased/Protected MP3's I bought from iTunes?

Purchased iTunes music isn't MP3's though is it, it's them AAC Files. So I would of assumed you would need something to convert them (eg. Remove the Protection) however depending on Copyright Law, that might be illegal.

Reaction score
What is the "burn to cd then re-import trick? Does that remove the protection? I have Audacity and I edited a song but when I went to save it it only gave me the option to save it as .aup. Am I missing a plug-in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
What is the "burn to cd then re-import trick? Does that remove the protection? I have Audacity and I edited a song but when I went to save it it only gave me the option to save it as .aup. Am I missing a plug-in?

Setting aside legal issues, all you need a CD-RW (rewritable CD):

1. Download song on iTunes
2. Change import settings to MP3 instead of AAC
3. Burn song to Audio CD
4. Import CD as MP3

I'm glad that Apple is starting to offer DRM-free songs on iTunes, it makes using them in a creative way (like on a video) much easier.

Reaction score
Yes, I did that. But there is a protection thing on it. When I put the cd back in it didnt give me the option to import. I know I have the settings to import as .mp3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.