Which iMac

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a long time PC user, looking to make the jump to mac as the whole apple thing seems more in tune with my needs.

My PC is on it's last legs so I am looking to replace it soon. Now seems the time to make the jump to a mac.

I need some pointers to help me choose.

I don't want an awful lot out of the computer really - email, web, word processing, web design, digital photo stuff (basic, pretty much just tidying them up and printing them or publishing to web).
Also got a DV camera for Christmas and want to get into a bit of editing.

Not bothered about playing games, I haven't got the time.

SO I want a mac. I'd love the 24" imac but it's a bit beyond my budget.
Compromise would be the 20" but that would take a bit of saving for me.

I am just wondering if the mac mini would be good to get me going.

I note it can't burn DVD's so I'd need to get a USB DVD drive to burn them so that is a straight minus point.

In terms of processing and editing and rendering digital video how capable is the mini?

I currently have to burn DV on my mums PC which is about 2 years old and if I am burning a DVD I would have to leave it chugging away for about an hour while it prepared 10 minutes of DV before it burnt it.

Am also wanting to convert a load of old VHS tapes so would need it to handle having tapes played to it, possibly while doing other stuff like web browsing.

Am I asking too much of the mini or should I jump to something bigger?

T

todd51

Nothing against the mini, but I just think you would be happier saving for an iMac 20-inch...what about the 17-inch?

It could be a bit too small for you though, I would definately consider saving up for an iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I agree with Todd51.. Save and get the 20" iMac. It is wonderful, and will last you many years. By the time you get a monitor, the keyboard, the mouse... you are getting pretty close to the iMac pricing...

Welcome to Mac-Forums twoquidtunes!!!!

OP
T
Reaction score
Nothing against the mini, but I just think you would be happier saving for an iMac 20-inch...what about the 17-inch?

It could be a bit too small for you though, I would definately consider saving up for an iMac.

Thanks, I considered the 17 inch. I've got a 19" TFT which I'd like to keep and use on the imac and I think it would look odd have the 2nd monitor bigger than the main one. I presume an Imac can handle an extra monitor being plugged in?

Reaction score
Hi Twoquid,

As you will se from my post below I am thinking about the same thing as you I think. My PC is possibly a bit better than your, Dual Core AMD, but am fed up with Windows and the next one in particular, Vista. I shall be keeping my existing machine to play games and maybe, as a file server if the networking with the Mac goes OK.

DVD burning could be achieved on better model of Mac Min with the superdrive. That model getts you more meory and a bigger hard drive too. I shall just use my PC for that is needed.

Of course, the Mac Mini seems a better bet to me as I have the screens rto use with it. I am sitting in front of 2 17" flat panel screens, currently configured with one machine. When I get a Mac it qwil get one of the screens. You could do the same. I feel rather unhappy about the idea of everything in one box; you know a problem with a screen and no machine at all.

Of course, the mini is much the cheapest way to decide if you can live with Mac. did a course a while ago with power macs and they were so slow, but I gather this is not a problem.

Well I'll keep an eye on your thread and see what you decide; I might got the same way.

OP
T
Reaction score
I agree with Todd51.. Save and get the 20" iMac. It is wonderful, and will last you many years. By the time you get a monitor, the keyboard, the mouse... you are getting pretty close to the iMac pricing...

Welcome to Mac-Forums twoquidtunes!!!!

Thanks for the welcome. I've got the monitor, keyboard etc i can use from the PC.

I'll think about the 20".

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Twoquid,

As you will se from my post below I am thinking about the same thing as you I think. My PC is possibly a bit better than your, Dual Core AMD, but am fed up with Windows and the next one in particular, Vista. I shall be keeping my existing machine to play games and maybe, as a file server if the networking with the Mac goes OK.

DVD burning could be achieved on better model of Mac Min with the superdrive. That model getts you more meory and a bigger hard drive too. I shall just use my PC for that is needed.

Of course, the Mac Mini seems a better bet to me as I have the screens rto use with it. I am sitting in front of 2 17" flat panel screens, currently configured with one machine. When I get a Mac it qwil get one of the screens. You could do the same. I feel rather unhappy about the idea of everything in one box; you know a problem with a screen and no machine at all.

Of course, the mini is much the cheapest way to decide if you can live with Mac. did a course a while ago with power macs and they were so slow, but I gather this is not a problem.

Well I'll keep an eye on your thread and see what you decide; I might got the same way.

The vista thing has pushed me too, just seems like an awful lot of money for not a lot of improvement.

I share your worry about everyone being in one box but I think that is because we are used to the PC way of thinking - something will go wrong so we need to be able to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I love my 20" iMac I have heard it described as the sweet spot in the range. I have no experience with a Mini I'd go for a 17" with super drive if money is tight and max the RAM

Good luck whatever you decide

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Although my Mini is a good machine for what it is, I wound up spending more money by buying it. It did just enough that I wanted it to do more, so I bought a 17" MBP. Do yourself a favor and get the machine you want first, don't settle with less than what you really want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Absolutely not... heh. I do a ton of photoshop work with large images, so I enjoy every bit of the real estate. Beyond that it is a desktop replacement system, and with as much as I'm out to sea (go Navy...) it actually gets used as a desktop quite a bit. Even moreso is the capability of the hardware and the extended battery life of the 17" over the comparable 15" model. Sometimes it's nice to watch a movie or play some games and not be tethered, such as when doing laundry where I'm not around a plug. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I wouldn't settle for less than the 20" iMac. I love mine to death, and will likely be sticking with the iMac line for many years to come. In my experience, the 17" is just too small. Obviously the 24" would be great, especially for use with Front Row, but if it's out of your budget there really isn't any reason to splurge for it, unless you instend to get heavy into photo and video editing (although I think the 20" is fine for that).

Also, I echo Nytehawk...if you aren't elgible for an educational discount, find someone who is. Those discounts are amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
I bought (or rather, had it bought as a present) the 24" iMac, but I thought long and hard about it before I took the plunge. I was torn between the 20" & 24", but after visiting the apple store, I realised that for my use, which is Video Editing, the 24" would be the best bet. The 24" lets me have all the various windows within the editor open at the same time, which for me is very handy.
When I looked round at various different machines and added on top the cost of a 24" screen, the price always passed the iMac price...so I squared my thoughts up to getting the big one. Now, to be honest I have got so used to it that it seems medium sized. Although i did visit a PC World a couple of weeks back and saw the 17" in stock, and it looked like an iPod.

Go for the biggest you can....you wont regret it.

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
I've got a 20" iMac - for me that's the sweet spot.

As the previous posts have already pointed out - it depends very much on how much screen real estate you need for the apps you use most.

If you have doubts visit a Apple store and try to envisage the screen where you will use it.

Reaction score
I think the mini will be an ok machine for you. Not great, but it will get the job done. the 20" iMac seems to be the best option for you. Although you might be spending a little more time saving than you would like to in the end it will be worth it.

Oh, and congrats in advance on the switch :)

Reaction score
I just had a 20" imac given to me as a present and I am in love. Goob bye Windows. I was pretty much using Linux anyhow but always wanted a Mac just could not spend the money. This machine is great. I was up all night playing around with it. Then at 6:00 this morning I just could not sleep knowing my poor Mac was all alone so I got up and kept it company. I have to go to church now but after that I am running home and playing some more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I read in one review somewhere where it said in terms of value for money the 20" was a lot better than the 17". Mac Minis are probably great little machines, but if you want the full Mac experience then go for the 20" iMac. As said before, if you are a student you should definitely go for the student discount as big savings can be made.

Have you considered looking at refurbs if your budget is tight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
I had a chance to play with a 20" iMac today. Very, very nice machine and definitely on my list of must haves.

Neil M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Hi TwoQuids, I am doing the same as you at the moment, moving from PC to Mac. I have been playing round with an eMac for a while and that with OSX10.4 was enough to convince me. Windows vista is just a copy of Tiger in my opinion.
I have been struggling with MBP v's iMac for a while now and except for price I would go the 17" iMac. I thinkl that I will wait for Leopard (when is that ?) and will buy the iMac 20" with a couple of upgrades. I mainly want it for web surfing and making DVD's out of video and photos that I have.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.