iPhoto v's Lightroom

Reaction score
I am currently evaluating LR and so far I am pretty impressed, I have also pre ordered a copy as its a reduced price so a bit of a deal and will be shipped next Thursday so I need to make my mind up before then.

As with most software it takes a while to learn all the tips and tricks and more importantly the full potential of the software.

Therefore I think what I am asking is for your thoughts between the difference between iPhoto which I have been using for years and LR I know one is professional and one is aimed at more the home market.

As I have only just brought my first DSLR am I diving in to soon (in the higher end software)? Will iPhoto more than likely cover my needs for a couple of years? or would it be better to set of with a "full" app like LR that I can build my Lib and Metadata rather than have to go back through it all in a couple of years?

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Do you shoot RAW?

If no, don't buy Lightroom.
If yes or no you are probably better off buying Photoshop Elements anyway as this has much better controls for editing your photos than iPhoto has, has built in ACR for RAW processing and Bridge for file managment and browsing.

I would only buy Lightroom if you REALLY need the extra RAW processing features AND already have either Photoshop or Elements.

OP
E
Reaction score
I do intend to use RAW but as i have only just started out with a DSLR have no idea if this will be what a continue to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.