KVM switch

C

CaptainStandish

I'm looking into getting a KVM switch in the future for switching between my mac and my pc (just to game) and was wondering if kvm switches provide support for using both platforms at the same time and if so, are the apple keyboards compatible with pc's etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well for starters, the Apple keyboards connect to USB1s

OP
S

StarManta

Any KVM switch that uses USB and analog display will work - which means almost all of them, to my knowledge.

OP
C

CaptainStandish

StarManta said:
Any KVM switch that uses USB and analog display will work - which means almost all of them, to my knowledge.

What if i'm using DVI in my display??? Will that matter or will i have to get a KVM that allows this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Depends does your monitor support dual input. i.e. have double DVI sockets. If Yes, then you can switch using the button on your monitor. If NO, then yes. Your KMV will need to support DVI.

However, if your using a Apple's own version, called a ADC, and your using an Apple Display, you will need a little bit more hardware. A ADC to DVI converter.

PS. Your Mac keyboard and mouse will work on a PC BTW, it'll show up as Mitsumi Human Interface. So you could get away with a USB KVM Switch.

Hope this helps.

OP
C

CaptainStandish

hype.it said:
Depends does your monitor support dual input. i.e. have double DVI sockets. If Yes, then you can switch using the button on your monitor. If NO, then yes. Your KMV will need to support DVI.

However, if your using a Apple's own version, called a ADC, and your using an Apple Display, you will need a little bit more hardware. A ADC to DVI converter.

PS. Your Mac keyboard and mouse will work on a PC BTW, it'll show up as Mitsumi Human Interface. So you could get away with a USB KVM Switch.

Hope this helps.

Ok, so if I don't have dual dvi's on the back of the monitor, can I just use both the analog and the dvi and have one machine use the analog and the other the dvi? Am I getting this right?

Thanks for the help guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
If i was you, I would check your Monitor's user manual first, because your monitor may only allow 1 input, either a SVGA or a DVI. You don't wanna kill ya monitor, do you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.