printer recommendations

Reaction score
Just bought a 20" imac. What printer would you suggest? (some basic word processing and some digital photos, no larger than 8 x 10.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
I highly recommend HP ink jet printers. They work great with OSX, the drivers are almost always included with OSX itself, so you have no problems there. They're speedy printers, print out very good photos and the text is crisp. Best of all, depending on the model you choose, the ink lasts longer and is cheaper to buy than most all other brand printers.

I use a multi-function HP printer with the new Vivera ink system (6 individual ink cartridges) and have found them to last a good amount of time, they're cheap compared to Epson, Brother and a few other brands, and the quality is great.

The only brand I would avoid at all costs is Lexmark. They're just cheap crap and I don't know more than a few people who like them after using one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I could not disagree more. I have never owned anything created by HP that was worth the money I spent on it and have sworn them off forever. I have not owned an HP printer in years, so have no first hand experience with their newer models but still consider them the bottom feeders for anything you plan on printing photographs with.

Epson or Canon. Epson R300 (I think the new model is the R330) is a nice little printer with a nice inkset. The R800 even better but a bit more expensive. Canon also makes some nice little printers.

The biggest problem with HP models that I owned was the color faded quickly, this includes an HP they use at work...not a very new HP but within the last 3 years they purchased it. Photographs fade in days..not months or years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
The problem you describe is with the inks and the coating on the paper, not the printer. In that area, all printer companies have improved immensely in the last year or so. HP has a new ink system which apparently works quite well, as I've had a few photos I printed off my HPs about two years ago hanging on the wall next to a window in my office and I notice no fading at all.

The general rule in the past has been Epson for images, HP for everything else. In the last few years, that rule has been knocked off due to improvements by Canon (which has a few very nice photo printers, but which go through ink like mad), and HP (I've already expressed my thoughts there), Epson (who've actually improved in the speed category, where HP wins in all cases), etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
one of the absolute best 8.5" x 11" ink jet printers ive ever used is the HP Photosmart 8250. Its relatively cheap (about $150), works great, the prints look outstanding, and its uses separate ink cartridges for each color. I love this printer and highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Another vote for HP printers. I don't do anything intense with my printing at home and I use an HP Deskjet 3845. It is perfect for document printing and it even does a good job at printing photos. I got mine for like $90 a couple of years ago. I am sure it cost even less now.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been a mac user for 12 years and have used several printer brands, including HP, Lexmark, Canon and Epson. The only one of these I would actually recommend is Epson. I am currently using an Epson Photo R300 and it is fantastic. I bought it after a lot of research (mainly involving reading user reports on Amazon.) It replaced an Epson Stylus Colour 600 that I had been running hard for seven years. When I replaced it the Colour 600 was still working fine. I gave it to a friend and it is still going a year later. To tell you the truth I only replaced it because I needed the higher fidelity provided by the new inking system. Epson scanners are also pretty good.

I hope that is some help.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I've used HP for years with no problems with my PC. But in December when I purchased my iMac, I went with the Canon MP460 photo printer. It prints about 17 ppm with outstanding color. It is an all-in-one but no fax (I didn't need one). Only thing is, it is pretty noisy when the paper feeds but everything is great. I plugged in a bluetooth and the wireless has worked flawlessly. I hate wires!!
btw..welcome gordoon! Come back often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
The problem you describe is with the inks and the coating on the paper, not the printer.

Yes, it is the ink and paper...however when you buy a printer you buy an inkset. I am not keen on the third party inks, so assume when someone speaks of purchasing a printer they will buy the ink from that company.

HP inks may be better now, however as stated they have an HP at work and the photos fade in days. Research the inks of any printer before you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've never had an Epson printer last longer than 2 years. Heaps of junk.

I do like my Canon Pixma ip3000 though - it prints superbly, is borderless and inks last very well. It also prints directly onto DVD/CD and the whole printer is very sturdy and well built. It's also quiet.

It's about 18 months old - the most similar models today are the ip3300 and ip4300.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
hp pretty much dominates the priting area. their color cartridges and their photo paper seems to be among the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hp pretty much dominates the priting area. their color cartridges and their photo paper seems to be among the best.

Consumer grade equipment they used and still may hold the major market share, it does not mean they are any good just cheap. Also HP printers are given to people who buy HP computers, and other brands of computers as part of a package deal so that inflates the numbers...in other words the uneducated people get the printers, people who are just getting them for free or buying whats available or cheaper.

My R300 has been printing for over 4 years. The R2400 I have only owned for about 1.5 years but print much more than the average joe.

M

MacHeadCase

For colour prints I have always liked Epson inkjet printers as I felt they were heads above the competition for quality of the prints.

But I certainly don't appreciate their business practices much with their dang control chips in their ink cartridges. That's why when the Epson Stylus Photo 820 goes belly up, we will be looking very closely at other brands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I have a Canon Pixma ip5200R works just fine and gives me great results. I love the fact it has wireless network so My wife uses it with her PC laptop.
Prints on CD's and DVD's too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non yet :(
I use a Epson Stylus Photo R210, and have been using that for the last few years. It's a great printer, but when I see pictures printed on a Canon Pixma Ip3000 something I can see that the Epson is getting old. I have used a few HP printers but so far I have only been happy with there laser versions there ink jet printers are so expensive to refill compaired to Epson and Canon at least out here.

But I suggest that you go to a shop where they have loads of different printers and print out samples from each machine to check out the quality.

Nordstroem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Consumer grade equipment they used and still may hold the major market share, it does not mean they are any good just cheap. Also HP printers are given to people who buy HP computers, and other brands of computers as part of a package deal so that inflates the numbers...in other words the uneducated people get the printers, people who are just getting them for free or buying whats available or cheaper.

My R300 has been printing for over 4 years. The R2400 I have only owned for about 1.5 years but print much more than the average joe.

In re-reading this my "uneducated people" comment was directed to mean a large quantity of their sales and not everyone who buys them...just to clarify.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.