• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

awww shucks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
alright so i had a little accident that involved a yeungling and my powerbook keyboard. As you can guess I came back from the bar a little tipsy (college town) and got on the computer last night and spilled oh so little on my keyboard. Only the 'space' and 'B' key are a little bit sticky. Is there anyway to take the keyboard off and clead underneath or something? If not I might buy a new keyboard because the 'space' key is kind of essential...

M

MacHeadCase

Well first this might come in handy: Keyboard-cleaning helper:

Launch Keyboard Cleaner and it blacks out your screen and disables your keyboard—all but the Command+Q keyboard shortcut necessary to quit the application. (To remind you that your Mac is actually on, the text Happy Cleaning! Press Command-Q to get out is displayed on the screen.) In other words, you can push, pull, and polish your keyboard’s keys without wreaking havoc on the Great American Novel you’re currently writing.

I've looked and some places say you can clean with a damp rag... not too sure about that.

And if you need to deep clean the keyboard, these iFixIt guides might help. Not sure of your PowerBook model so posted a link to the main page. Choose your model and you will be taken to a page that lists all the possible repairs you can do on your laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
You can pop the keys up just do it slowly and it should slowly detach the scissor mechanism from the actual key and you can wipe around there. I spilt tea on mine so I had to do the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Another spill! That does it, I'm not drinking anything anywhere near my computer ever again.
Good luck ste6168 with getting things cleaned up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Reaction score
ste6168,

I go to CMU in Pittsburgh and I never really thought of it as a college town. ;)
which school do you go to?

I also had to pull up keys on my 17"PB to removed stickiness that resulted from only a few drops of Dr Pepper. I will say that you should be careful of the little clips on the keys. they can break and then the key doesnt want to stay on when you type. however I popped over to the Walnut Apple store and they gave me a couple new keys free of charge.

good luck

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
ste6168,

I go to CMU in Pittsburgh and I never really thought of it as a college town. ;)
which school do you go to?

I also had to pull up keys on my 17"PB to removed stickiness that resulted from only a few drops of Dr Pepper. I will say that you should be careful of the little clips on the keys. they can break and then the key doesnt want to stay on when you type. however I popped over to the Walnut Apple store and they gave me a couple new keys free of charge.

good luck

alright ill try to pull up the keys that are sticky to clean them out... hopefully it works.

on the other hand, you are alot closer to the actual party spots than I am. I go to CalU for Tech Ed, So i was kind of refering to here as a college town in which it might be small, but still a college town. Although, my parents house is about 5 min north of pittsburgh and I must say when I go "home," southside is a pretty fun place to be...

Reaction score
alright ill try to pull up the keys that are sticky to Although, my parents house is about 5 min north of pittsburgh and I must say when I go "home," southside is a pretty fun place to be...

I do enjoy the south side a great deal. one of my favorite spots is the Club Cafe... great music!

good luck with the keys and let us know how it turns out

Dale

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.