Lots of crashing going on.

F

flyin3d

Is it me, or does iDVD get very unstable when running low on hard drive space? When I say low I mean under 40 GB left on a 160 GB superdrive. In fact the whole system really slows down and crashes constantly when I go below 30 - 40 GB of space left. I just started noticing this yesterday after I installed Panther on my G5 and started doing some video capturing / editing. I dont know how much space I had before he install and video capture, it must have been more though. I'm kinda new to Apples. What kind of disk management, and maintenance options are there? I heard that defraging is not necessary. Is This true?
Thanks,
Justin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
How much RAM do you have? This sounds like a virtual memory problem - and yeah, being low on hard drive space is involved. And though it is usually not, at the level of work your doing - you may have crossed into where defrag is necessary. But a RAM upgrade may help. And if you can - I suggest you get an external firewire drive and move some stuff off the internal so vitual memory can work more efficiently. Also, repair permissions. close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner. Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, varify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of dailly) and monthly. again with all apps closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.