• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i hate windows. its not that its different, its that it sucks compared to OS X. according to Band Width Place.com im running at 5.4 megabits per second here at work, but some pages load faster on my dial up at home running at 5.4 kilabits per sec on safari than they do on IE for win2k. this machine here is only 1 year old and its already worth nothing. Windows may seem like a good idea until you own them for more than a month. theyre obviously not made to last as long as macs. i miss my iMac

OP
MacAddikt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ya id use a nice flavor of linux, but we use this POS software that only work on windows. maybe i can switch to lindows :lol:

OP
MacAddikt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ugh. windows still sucks... i cant leave my computer running for more than 3 days at a time without anything happening. ive had my imac on since i got it 3-4 months ago(except for restarts liek 10.2.6 and quicktime installations), and ive had no problems. the stand by option (aka sleep for windows) locks up my computer. granted its a yr and a half old machine, but still. ive left a 7200 on OS 8.6 running for a few weeks without any problems or lock ups... i wish more people wold at least try macs, because i dont see how anyone could possible live with windows day in and day out while OS X is SO much better [/rant]

..... time for a restart, seems the printer isnt responding. so i have to unplug and plug the USB cable in then restart the computer. ugh

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
The thing that really bugs me about windross is that no matter how much effort you go to to increase RAM, disc size or CPU speed, windross just uses it all up do inane things with dancing paperclips and such like. Under older versions like 98SE games can take over the entire machine and on my XP2000 running 98SE UT 2003 plays like a demon on speed even at huge screen resolutions with all the colours but give word a document to print or just copy a few files around and it can barely match my old Risc-PC for speed.

What I want is windross lite, just enough of it to start up games but none of the dross like pants VM and crap disk handling. Could I make one of my PC's into an X-Box do you think?

(I must admit that Linux is even worse with games than windross of course, especially if you forget the cron jobs that turn on right in the middle of a late night UT slugfest ;))

On Mac OSX OpenGL support is built into the window manager so you can in theory have UT bots running around the desktop fragging each other, I must figure out how to do it as it will sure beat the heck out of desktop sheep.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
OT : Have you seen animated wallpapers yet?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Emrys said:
OT : Have you seen animated wallpapers yet?

Nope, got a good link?

OP
MacAddikt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
in windows you can use any animated .gif as your desktop and it will still be animated... in OS X you can use Desktop Movie Player to play quicktime movies as your desktop. if you can find a way to stream or watch tv through quicktime, youd be set. watch tv while working on your computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah, thats a pretty sweet app.. and it doesnt really lag much..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
After losing the internal hard drive drive on my IBM thinkpad PC. I truely can say that windows is like gravity they both suck. lol

After I obtained a new internal disk drive. I asked a friend to reload the OS since he had a copy of the windows 200 professional. The install went wel, but the problem started in the comfiguration of the PC. Trying to set this PC to connect to the network is a major pain. Just turning on DHCP is a pain. I have spend all last night trying to locate what to change in order to get is up on the network. As of this time I am up, but I can not resolve names. So basically I am just limbing a long. If I didn't need this thinkpad for work. I would not have use for it. I prefer my powerbook, but IBM does not support or have software to create virtual private networks for the Apple OS.

So here I am trying to rebuilt. Oh, the pain, the pain of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
iClock

The animated desktop program that I really like is iClock. Not only because it can animate the background, but it's probably the best clock I have ever used. It has some serious functionality. You guys should check it out.. it's shareware so you can have a good go at it before deciding whether or not it's worth keeping.

http://www.scriptsoftware.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did.. and that's why Im on a mac now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then get yourself a mac.. and quick! Clarity like you have never known will be yours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dogbart said:
yeah, but you didn't grow up with windows, did you?

alot of the members here are switchers... I would say we have the highest % of switchers than any other forum... (and by % i mean % per population of forums)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I wonder if we can use that fact as an advantage to advertise ourselves?

But yes, I think most of the moderators/admins here are switchers as are many of the members.

OP
MacAddikt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ive been on Apple's since Kindergarten

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.