Should I?

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5. 1GB Ram, Super Drive.
I don't know if this is the right place to post but I would appreciate being directed to the right place if it isn't.

______​

I have wanted get a Mac for a number of years and finally have the reason and the money to get one, the problem is, I don't know if it's right for me.

So there is a few questions I would like to ask for what model and spec I should get for these things I would like to do.

• Use photoshop without lagging up my entire system (Does that at the moment)
  • Duel boot windows xp for steam (Need more information about this)
  • Microsoft word etc and other homework applications
  • Oh and also, would it be able to connect to my Belkin wireless router?

I would also want to ask is that if the mac is booted in windows, is the web cam still usable?

I also only have £1000 to spend....

Is a Mac right for me? And if so, what one?

If it helps my current computer stats at the moment are:

Dell Latitude D400
Intel Pentium M
1300Mhz
256 RAM

Thanks again :black:

EDIT: Added extra thing to list.

Reaction score
Any Macbook will outperform that Dell notebook. At present, the most expensive MacBook (the black one) is £999. I'd recommend a 2.0GHz white MacBook, instead, as you get the same general specs for less money.

Whether it lags during Photoshop will depend on how much memory you have, what you're trying to do, etc. I would recommend getting at least 1G RAM in your new computer regardless of who makes it.

You can dual-boot into WinXP easily using Boot Camp, which is currently in beta and available for free on Apple's website. When the next version of the Mac OS becomes available (expected within the next 2-6 months depending who you ask), it will be built into the OS. I'm not familiar with Steam, but if it doesn't require Direct3D you might also be able to use Parallels, which is a method of running Windows programs from within Mac OS X without needing to reboot. A search of this forum will find tons of info about both Boot Camp and Parallels.

You can run MS Office for Windows using Boot Camp or Parallels; or, you can run MS Office 2004 for Mac.

Your Belkin will work fine. I use a Belkin wireless router for my home network, and I'm posting from my MacBook Pro through that Belkin wireless router right now.

I don't know whether the webcam works in Boot Camp or Parallels, sorry.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
By "Steam" I assume you mean Half-Life/Counterstrike etc.

If so the MacBook will not handle it as the Gfx are not up to the job.

So your choices are the middle model iMac or a MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro is outside your price range unless you can get a refurbished model but the 20-inch iMac is almost exactly what you have to spend, i.e £999.0. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
A

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any Macbook will outperform that Dell notebook. At present, the most expensive MacBook (the black one) is £999. I'd recommend a 2.0GHz white MacBook, instead, as you get the same general specs for less money.

Whether it lags during Photoshop will depend on how much memory you have, what you're trying to do, etc. I would recommend getting at least 1G RAM in your new computer regardless of who makes it.

You can dual-boot into WinXP easily using Boot Camp, which is currently in beta and available for free on Apple's website. When the next version of the Mac OS becomes available (expected within the next 2-6 months depending who you ask), it will be built into the OS. I'm not familiar with Steam, but if it doesn't require Direct3D you might also be able to use Parallels, which is a method of running Windows programs from within Mac OS X without needing to reboot. A search of this forum will find tons of info about both Boot Camp and Parallels.

You can run MS Office for Windows using Boot Camp or Parallels; or, you can run MS Office 2004 for Mac.

Your Belkin will work fine. I use a Belkin wireless router for my home network, and I'm posting from my MacBook Pro through that Belkin wireless router right now.

I don't know whether the webcam works in Boot Camp or Parallels, sorry.

How much does it cost for the upgrade to the next Mac OS?
And do you actually recommend me getting a Mac then or should i stay PC?

By "Steam" I assume you mean Half-Life/Counterstrike etc.

If so the MacBook will not handle it as the Gfx are not up to the job.

So your choices are the middle model iMac or a MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro is outside your price range unless you can get a refurbished model but the 20-inch iMac is almost exactly what you have to spend, i.e £999.0. ;)

Amen-Moses

Hmm that's a problem as I really didn't want to spend all the money. (Inheritance)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
A-M is right, if you're talking about a computer game then the MacBook probably isn't the best choice for you. The cheapest MacBook Pro (which is fine for gaming) is £1349.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm that's a problem as I really didn't want to spend all the money. (Inheritance)

Well the 17 Inch iMac with the decent Gfx is £799, but I find 17 Inches is just not enough these days.

Amen-Moses

OP
A

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I want portable, but haven't got the cash... I think i can sacrifice the gaming capabilities seeing as I don't play them that much. I just wanted the safe guard in case I did.

It's a bummer they don't do black in lower pricing but I think will be a 'switcher' and get a macbook :)

One last question: What is the difference between a Double layer super drive and a combo drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Super Drive will Burn DVD's (Double Layer even!!!) and CD's...

The Combo Drive will only Burn CD's..

Optical Drive Specs:

24x slot-loading Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW):

* Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
* Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
* Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed
* Reads CDs at up to 24x speed

6x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW):

* Writes DVD+R DL (double layer) discs at up to 2.4x speed
* Writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 6x speed
* Writes DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4x speed
* Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
* Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
* Writes CD-RW discs at up to 10x speed
* Reads CDs at up to 24x speed

OP
A

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh, one last last thing.

Does Macbook come with wireless card embedded?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yes it does, all the macs except for the Mac Pro come with a build in wireless card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.