Finally given up my right click!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro - 1Gb, 120Gb HDD. I'm loving the feel of that cold metal case.
Hi all, I'm the proud owner of a Apple MacBook Pro (2.16ghz, 1Gb, 120Gb HDD) which is currently charging so I'm on the PC at the mo'!

Firstly, the Apple Store in Southampton were very very friendly, very helpful and, despite being very busy, gave me the time and info I needed, along with that they great with my 2.5yr old son that needed entertaining! So thanks guys! I pretty much knew what I wanted before I went there, but there would not be a chance in **** that

Back to the Mac, after deliberating and umming and ahhing for months, no make that years, I took the plunge for this laptop. Ineeded something for working at home when I'm looking after my son and when travelling. Spec for spec with a Dell/Sony/HP etc, you're not looking at much, but I'm so drawn towards the reliability and stability of the Mac as my many many years of PCs have been a nightmare. In short, the Mac will do everything I need 'out-of-the-box' and using a service like gotomypc or mywebex, I can get into my work desktop through a browser from anywhere (with wifi). Not looked into MS remote access properly, but my past experiences on the PC were messy to say the least!

I've got a bit of learning to do and I've got a few words about Macs to swallow, but I'm looking forward to it!

I also got a copy of parallels for running some work stuff which only runs in Windows. Any pointers would be great!

And any MUST HAVES for my sexy shiny new virgin MacBook Pro?

Cheers, Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums and Congrats on the Mac!!!

No need to give up the Right-Click... use CTRL+Click, or:
Also, you can go to System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Trackpad and select "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click." Once you've done that, tapping with two fingers simultaneously will give you the equivalent of the right click. Also, you can press the trackpad button while touching the trackpad with two fingers, this also simulates Control+Click to give you a secondary click, bring up context menus, etc.

I would suggest getting used to everything for a few weeks... you are going to love it!

When you are read for 3rd party Apps. IMO a few must haves are:

Quicksilver
http://www.flip4mac.com/
VLC
CandyBar
MacTheRipper
MediaFork
ffmpeg

Just 2 name a few!!! :D:D:D

Enjoy, and let us know if you need any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Better yet, make sure the "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" is checked. Then tap the trackpad with 2 fingers for a right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I'm completely jealous. I wish I could afford a MBP. Ditto on the two finger tap. Enjoy your mac and best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
good luck with your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
macbook pro

hi

welcome to the group

wise choice you've made, most certainly an informed one.
living in dorset (lovely part of england) and an apple store in southampton
just down the road, perfect.

i tried paralells and was very impressed with how it worked, much faster
xp, than xp on a pc. i trialled it, and got it binned quite quickly,
as i just did'nt like having it around. there is plenty to do on os x without
even bothering about third apps, get stuck into something like iweb, and
you will have a ball.

best regards

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro - 1Gb, 120Gb HDD. I'm loving the feel of that cold metal case.
To be honest, the only PC apps I'd need to run would be Sage accounts and job booking software, which has MS Mappoint built in, for work. I can get into my work PC via a service like logmein.com (tried it today and it worked fine). If I don't have to 'PC' anything that would be great and I haven't opened Parallels yet.

As for other stuff...... VLC, been using that on my PC for ages so I'm happy with that. What about word processing, spreadsheets etc? I've been using OpenOffice for a while on the PCs, is it OK on the Mac?
- these are one reason I looked at Macs - you don't really need all that MS Office, Mediaplayer BS clogging up your computer!

The only problems I have had were putting the WEP code in for my router at home (set it to trusted devices in the end) and Safari closed on this site http://www.uk.map24.com/ (lots of Java) - maybe change browser to Mozilla?

Well, I can't wait to get into all the iStuff! iWeb and get me an iPod soon! This Mac's gonna bring back my creativity!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.