has anyone here gotten a Zune to work with their mac yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
I am selling my pc laptop on Monday and I have already won an auction on an ibook G4 14" off of ebay, i use a zune for my music player. has anyone gotten theirs to work yet? i have heard of an app that allows you to get them to work together, but wondered if anyone had first hand experience.

Reaction score
i think some people have gotten it to work but its not easy. you should sell it and get an iPod. :)

Reaction score
You might be the only one, I wouldn't dare speak the name honestly as I think they are inferior but you might just have to strike that one up as being a mac fanatic

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which do you think are inferior? i don't understand.

Reaction score
There are two ways to do it:
1) Use windows XP or Vista installed using BootCamp
2) Use a Virtualization Software like Parallels or VMware for Mac. This will enable you to run Windows concurrently with Mac OS X.

There is no native way to sync your Zune on Mac OS X. Microsoft isn't supporting it for now. I believe they'll support OS X in the future.

The closest thing to use is XNJB which can only show you the files in Zune but not read or write files on Zune.

Check this link for more information:
http://www.zune-online.com/mac-and-linux.html

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well yes i know it isn't supported on mac. i think it was VMware that i have heard of. do you know if it slows down your system too much? i am going to max out the ram on my ibook g4 anyways but was just wondering.

Reaction score
Yes it will slow down your system, but you don't have to leave windows running all the time. Only when you need it.

Reaction score
I was at CompUSA today, they had a big hand-written sign up next to the Zunes that just said "5% off listed price" ... I took that as a bad sign of the Zune's domination of the marketplace. :)

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's not doing badly at all. you have to remember who they are competing against, a well established, well received product that has been around since the beginning of mp3 players as we know it. i like my zune, i like it a lot. and for me i WOULD rather have something that not everyone and the queen of England has (she does you know). And its simply a good player. but thats just me.

Reaction score
Zune has about the 10% of sales since its release till now (in its category of course). And 10% means second place after iPod. It could have been better but the second place for a new product is just fine :)

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^ i realize that I'm on a mac forum but you have been the only truly helpful person yet, thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Zune is not bad at all. Personally I prefer the controls on the iPods, but the Zune is not a bad player in any way. I just wish Microsoft would release something so it would work with OSX. Till then I am sure someone will figure out a way down the line.

Reaction score
Hmmm, 10% still? I thought the number had dropped off quite a bit.

Amazon.com reports that out of the top 25 MP3 players bought through their site, the black 30G Zune is #16 (the only model/configuration to make the list) compared with 15 different models of iPod (including #1, 2, 3, and 4).

MS's own goal -- which many think is unrealistic -- is 1M Zunes sold by June'07; compare this with about 10M iPods per quarter and you get about 3% of iPod sales. This ignores all the other MP3 machines out there, most of which are also out-selling Zune.

I suppose if you narrow the field tightly enough to include only machines in the Zune's price range, you might possibly be able to claim 10% of the market. The last info I saw, however, had Zune sales falling, not rising.

Reaction score
Zune is a real nice machine, but Bill Gates didn't want to buy an iPod so Microsoft made the Zune and made it not compatible with mac. Steve Job's mp3 player is compatible with windows hmmm.......... If your computer is more important than your Zune I would get an iPod.

Reaction score
Zune player has only minor bugs, but the Zune Software has problems. If you check our forum many come there with installation problems. Don't you think its a better idea for Microsoft to solve these first and then move to Mac or Linux ? I believe thats the main reason there is no Mac support till now.

And the other reason is Mac community is dedicated to Apple. Very few of you will buy a Microsoft replacement for the iPod :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And the other reason is Mac community is dedicated to Apple. Very few of you will buy a Microsoft replacement for the iPod :)

If the Zune was better to ME in every way than the iPod, even though I love OSX, I would purchase one. I try not to be narrow minded. I am very open to new ideas. Before that could ever happen they would have to give us support for OSX.

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i like ipods but again I think they are a bit overblown. great players, but everyones got one. Even if you dont like Zune you have to like the fact that when Microsoft priced it $50 lower than similarly configured ipods Apple dropped their prices by $50 too, makes everyone a little bit happier. :)

Reaction score
Don't you think its a better idea for Microsoft to solve these first and then move to Mac or Linux ?

One might think, perhaps, that it would have been an even better idea for them to work out the installation issues before selling tens of thousands of them.

But then again, this is Microsoft we're talking about!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.