Best "Bang for the Buck" Mac?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm toying with the idea of getting my wife a Mac Mini, since it's the least expensive way to to test the Mac waters (she already has a monitor, keyboard and mouse from her Dell desktop).

I'm curious though... which Mac is considered to be the best "bang for the buck"? (and why?)

Thanks...

M

MacHeadCase

Without a doubt for me it's the iMac, 2.0GHz and up. The low-end model hasn't a SuperDrive in it and no dedicated video graphics card, just the Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB shared with main memory which I find is not very extraordinary. The iMac has a very good screen as well.

Specs are here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have to agree with MHC. The iMac is the biggest bang for your buck.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

The Mini is about half the price (so it's probably best for our "Mac test") but I'll look into the iMac as well.

Reaction score
Since you have the mouse, keyboard, and monitor, the mini is definitely a good option.

What you didn't tell us is what you want to do with the machine. If you're a causal user, the mini should be more than adequate. If, however, you're working with video or some other CPU intensive apps, then you might enjoy having the horsepower from the faster core 2 duo chips in the iMac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Since you have the mouse, keyboard, and monitor, the mini is definitely a good option.

What you didn't tell us is what you want to do with the machine. If you're a causal user, the mini should be more than adequate. If, however, you're working with video or some other CPU intensive apps, then you might enjoy having the horsepower from the faster core 2 duo chips in the iMac.
Well, if I ever switched, I'd need more than the Mini. But this would be for my wife, and she's a casual user: Internet browsing, email, photo viewing and MS Excel & Word (or perhaps something I found called NeoOffice??)

I was just curious to see which was the best bang for the buck, just so I could take a peek at it. If I'm going to spend any money on testing a Mac, I might as well explore my options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hi Soundsgood. The Mini is a great choice for what your wife is going to use it for, as well as to "try" the OS... If you/she has any questions or need any help... just post! :D:D:D

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Soundsgood. The Mini is a great choice for what your wife is going to use it for, as well as to "try" the OS... If you/she has any questions or need any help... just post! :D:D:D
Thanks very much! :)

EDIT: oh, one more thing: I think RAM usage is different on Mac... how much RAM would you say my wife needs? Again, this would be for Internet browsing, email, photo viewing and either MS Excel & Word or perhaps something I found called NeoOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Intel core duo - iBook G4
I am very happy with my mini intel core duo, and I am not testing macs. I use macs daily since 1992. I am even an intensive user, just I don't work with movies and so.
About ram, mine have 1,25 Ghz. But 500 mega is adequate.

T

todd51

I will agree with some of the others and say get an iMac, I think you'll be happier.

I know the next time I buy a desktop computer it will be an iMac. Although, I don't know when I will decided to not get a laptop.

Reaction score
I've always thought the mini's were pretty cool. Its definitly a cheap way to get your foot in the door with Apple computers. The iMac will give you more bang for your buck and a bit more speed. But, if like you said, all your wife does is surf the internet, email, photo's etc and you already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, the decision seems like a slam dunk to me... mini!

OP
S
Reaction score
The iMac will give you more bang for your buck and a bit more speed. But, if like you said, all your wife does is surf the internet, email, photo's etc and you already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, the decision seems like a slam dunk to me... mini!
Pretty much what I was thinking too. But it never hurts to check out all options. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.