• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OS X in the latest copy of PC World

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As I have mentioned in a couple of other posts, we're seeing more and more mention of Apple & OS X in the PC mags.

Just received latest issue, April of PC World, with write up on operating systems. A year ago, this write-up would probably have consisted of XP, maybe Win 2000 still, the still beta version of Vista, and only a slim possibility of one version of Linux.

The result of this review lists the following as the "Bottom Line" recommendations.
XP: Very Good
Vista: Good
Mac OS X: Excellent
Linux: Very Good

M

MacHeadCase

Well I'll be... :eek:

Cool find, bob!
icon14.gif

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have seen several articles similar to this from PC writers and editors over just the last 6 months or so. Though not many come right out and say it (though there have been a couple of editors), not many of them are too happy with Vista and make subtle to not so subtle hints that they either already have moved or they are planning on their next computer being an Apple with XP, Vista and Ubuntu loaded on it. Basically, just so they can still do their job and cover the stories and articles required by the masses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently shopping for my first Mac.
Maybe I should make a trip to Wal-Mart and get the latest issue of PC World.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I should make a trip to Wal-Mart and get the latest issue of PC World.

Wouldn't unless you want it for this one article for posterity and/or are installing Vista, since they've got at least a portion of what you need to do the first couple of hours after you've got it installed to tweak the system. Plus the same old Disk defrag and management utilities, how to defend against viruses, spam, etc.

What I'm waiting for now, is for their software reviews to start giving and taking points for compatibilty with more than one OS.

Oh, and this author's bottom line statement as far as OS goes, "If you can afford Apple's hardware, that's the choice I'd recommend".

Reaction score
Gee, if the people writing the reviews are feeling this way I would think these type of articles will turn even more people to OSX. We might just be on the edge of a tremendous Mac surge!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I think we're already in the middle of a Mac surge. A year ago I wouldn't have considered a Mac because I play just enough PC games to warrant owning a PC, although when I'm doing other stuff (ie. Photoshop, etc.) I want a computer that is efficient and easy to use. And while my XP box is quite reliable, having only been rebuilt once in the last 2+ years, it's not as efficient due to having to constantly run virus programs, disk defrag, etc. - thus consuming resources, making day to day use a little more cumbersome.

I think the switch to Intel is the move that may make a vast number of PC users switch, because of compatibility and brand-recognition. People associate Intel with quality, and seeing Intel and Mac together may convince them.

Reaction score
I'll probably buy the issue and then email their editor how much I appreciate their frank and honest assessment of the various OSes ... along with a promise to keep reading their magazine if they keep including Mac stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm also surprised that Linux did as well as it did. Usually, it's brushed off in mainstream articles much like the Mac.

M

MacHeadCase

I'll probably buy the issue and then email their editor how much I appreciate their frank and honest assessment of the various OSes ... along with a promise to keep reading their magazine if they keep including Mac stuff.

Devious...
icon10.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
... Plus the same old Disk defrag and management utilities, how to defend against viruses, spam, etc.

I hear ya, all the Mac magazines have tons of new stuff like how to get the best of iTunes, iPhoto 101, how to get the best of iTunes Part 2, and let's not forget the endless articles of why Mac are better than PCs, etc. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Yeah, check out the last article in the very back. It is about how the iPhone is pretty much worthless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update - Apple and OS X in the May issue

1) Techlog: the editor-in-chief's monthly letter
"One of my favorite computers right now isn't real. It's the virtual machine that lets me run Windows applications on my Apple MacBook, via the amazing software known as Parallels Desktop."

2) The article "Make Your Network Better" devotes an entire section (1/2 page) to "Add a Mac" (pg 108).

This 2nd one above has to be due to many more of the hardcore windows and hardware enthusiasts having not necessarily switched, but like myself are now adding OS X boxes to their home computing environment.

To show your support for their increasing awareness of Apple and OS X, their e-mail is [email protected] .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.