• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is apple gonna come out with a MacTablet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook...weeee!
there is one called the 'modBook', but it is NOT made by apple. I would really enjoy a tablet, but only on macs...

Reaction score
maybe its gonna come with 10.5, who knows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Highly doubt Apple producing a tablet.

Reaction score
Yeah I have dealt with tablets and the general concensus is that, they are almost completely worthless unless your job requires them.

Reaction score
I hope not.

The "tablet" is equivalent of QuadraSOUND...that never worked either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
IDK, the multitouch patent could serve a dual purpose for the iPhone and a mac tablet. Just a thought. but i agree, i don't see a wide spread need or use for a tablet. only place where i've seen tablets being used quite heavily is in a doctors office.

M

MacHeadCase

Well technically the Mac Tablet already exists. But it's made by OWC and partner company Axiotron. It's a modified MacBook...

The ModBook.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, he mentioned that in the first post. ;)

Reaction score
<SARCASM START>
Please apple bring back the newton message pad
<SARCASM END>
<EXAGGERATION START>
but really the message pad was about as big as a laptop.
<EXAGGERATION END>

sweet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently shopping for my first Mac.
Funny you should start this thread, because my monthly issue of Mac World arrived yesterday and their feature article is about the modbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i doubt they will go into the tablet market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
yea tablets are considered a business tool. macs aren't primarily used for business.

OP
macfellow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook...weeee!
i want one for the fun of it, but i see no practical use, besides, i like laptops a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Is Apple gonna come out with a MacTablet? Uhh, you're a little late. They already made one, the amazing Newton!!!! ;)

Ok, seriously now. While a tablet would be an interesting product, I personally don't see it getting much of a following, especially not from Apple's current demographic. Just look at Windows tablets. How many of those do you see on a regular basis? I've personally seen maybe two or three used by people, two of which were business type people and one was actually one of those notebook/tablet contraptions (and to be honest, the girl just used it to doodle on).

While tablets are an interesting concept, I just don't see them as being very practical, and as a result, not a very compelling buy. If you made one of those notebook/tablet hybrids, then maybe you'll get more buyers. The only way Apple can make sure it doesn't fail if it goes down the hybrid route is to make sure the thing isn't underpowered and overpriced, much like the PC versions are (another reason why they've failed to catch on, you get more for your money by getting a regular notebook).

Reaction score
i want one for the fun of it, but i see no practical use, besides, i like laptops a lot.

No practical use?

Read my website at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Hall/1697/Index.html

I have severe cerebral palsy and I'm in a wheelchair. I can access Macs through a very special Morse code adapter. Which I use two head switches to do my Morse code.

I can't even verbalize, so I'll depend on my ModBook to communicate. The ModBook doesn't have the keyboard so I won't beat the **** out of my hands on a keyboard when my hands get out of control. So the ModBook is VERY PRACTICAL for those people who are like me.

Reaction score
Stevamundo, that's very interesting. I wonder how the Mac OS X accessability features have worked out for you.

Reaction score
Stevamundo, that's very interesting. I wonder how the Mac OS X accessability features have worked out for you.

That's why I'm so excited for Leopard. Have you heard Alex yet? For the first time in my life that I'll be speaking in pretty much a human sounding voice! That will help me big time with my over the phone conversations too. Yes I can make regular telephone calls using my iMac too. With a lot of help from Parallels, Windows XP, a software called HotFax, and a XP compatible speakerphone modem. I can use my IMac's voice even when I'm in my Parallels' virtual machine, it's pretty cool. I don't expect for that to change in Leopard either.

I like how easy it is to turn on and off the magnification in OS X. I'm very nearsighted too and sometimes I just need to magnify my screen to see something, with just two easy codes “boom” the magnification is on and with just another two easy codes “boom” the magnification is off. A little of Steve Jobs there. boom! :)

Reaction score
Another good demographic would be the art folk. If you're using something like PhotoShop with it, the fine control that can be offered by a touchpad would be worth it. but beyond that, I know I at least can type faster than I can write, and with about the same inaccuracy on both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.