I left the dark side but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Cor 2 Duo 2G Ram/ 80GB HD White with SuperDrive
I finally have left the dark side and switiched to a Mac. I just bought a new MacBook with an Intel Cor2Duo inside. I must say I like it a lot. However a strange thing happned and maybe one of you more experienced ones can help me out.

I transfered some files from my PC to my new Macbook and all seemed well. But after I shut down and restarted the next day my files were gone- vanished into who knows where.

Also, my copy of Windows XP on Parralles was gone- I had to reinstall it. Then I noticed that my system preferances had changed.

What happened???
I called Apple support and they were stumped as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums and Congrats on the Mac!!!

Did you happen to change your home Login name???

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I am still just called "User" but I did try to change the name of the home icon in the Finder window from "user" to my name. Could this have been the problem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh man thanks a ton! Boy do I feel like an idiot now! I am glad there is nothing wrong with my new MacBook, and that it was just a newb mistake.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Jbyrd -- Don't feel like an idiot. Changing the name of your Home folder is something a lot of people do and OS X does not stop them though it should. It's a very easy thing to screw up and if you do a Search you'll see you're about the umpteenth person who has reported this problem within the past month or so.

The important thing is that all can be put back to normal. Welcome to Macs and M-F.com!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.