• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

April 18th!

W

wiggin1605

Attention I would Like to predict that on April 18th Apple will release the PowerBook G5!! This is just a hypothisis mind you from what I have just read on mac minute an seems to fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Okay, we'll see. Wonder how they're gonna cool that sweetie! :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The PowerBook G5 is coming, and this year, but not even Apple knows exactly when. And it will be water-cooled, that's very futuristic if you ask me

Look for a totally redesigned PowerBook. Top to bottom, it is changing again for the G5, and it will also be more expensive. Apple plans on keeping the G4 PowerBook (at 1.42GHZ) in 3 sizes, and the G5 PowerBook at 15" and 17", and aluminum. The G5 is going to be black, thicker, but somehow sleeker... I am hearing that the G5's will run $500 to $700 dollars more, but will offer more than just the G5 chip. It will ship with the largest hard drives, more RAM, best video card, and some fancy new technologies they are working on, oh, and of course, BlueTooth and stuff...

I saw this in my travels. I don't know about April 18, but only time will tell.

OP
K

KLank

That would kind of suck seeing as I just brought home my powerbook last Thursday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I don't think I'd say that, the power book G4 is still smaller and I think that's more important to me. Even with the G5 out -- I'm quite likely to get a Powerbook 12 :p it's all about the size to me. For now I just don't need to be mobile yet. But I still can't wait!

OP
W

WilliS

water cooled eh? that is one helluva undertaking in my opinion

the water would have to be cooled with some sort of radiator to keep the heat down...which is sure to be a battery sucking problem i think...

i have a feeling the first generations you will want to avoid... but thats just my opinion... water and electronics never go good together... and even if they do make it water cooled, the tubes sealing it from becoming a problem might not last years ontop of years... eeek i would stick to the G4 powerbooks for at least a half a year that these have been in the hands of the "beta testing consumer" ;)

http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/24/powerbookg5

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
DualG5Lova said:

the water would have to be cooled with some sort of radiator to keep the heat down...which is sure to be a battery sucking problem i think...

i have a feeling the first generations you will want to avoid... but thats just my opinion... water and electronics never go good together... and even if they do make it water cooled, the tubes sealing it from becoming a problem might not last years ontop of years... eeek i would stick to the G4 powerbooks for at least a half a year that these have been in the hands of the "beta testing consumer" ;)

A water cooled G5 laptop on 18th April? Nah, 1st April more like. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
W

wiggin1605

well...

I'm going to wait a month before I buy and I will read all the reviews an stuff first. But there making it back? Sounds kinda like that dream I had an that they are maikng it look like a IBM think pad or some thing. Also water cooled now is really pretty safe they can pump a liter or some thing of water through a quarter size plate on top on the chip in no time at all you should check out TSS (The Screen Savers) they have a clip of it on there site I beleive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I am going to bet against you Wiggin :D as you all know, I believe it wont be out for a year. Earliest Possible summer. but I don't believe that is when.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
DualG5Lova said:
I agree water cooling is not very likely not even in a tower model...
:rolleyes:

OP
W

WilliS

think about it logically...

the only water cooled computers are pc fanatics who modify their cases to overclock their system and keep the chip from frying...

although a very original solution, and possibly the best, i do believe the industry of water cooled computers to be sold to the general public will have to come much futher before it is available

now also think of the seals that may harden over time... personally i dont want to buy a new computer every 2 years... i have my dual g5 and it will last me for hopefully a long time... just as i still find use for my old AMD 1 ghz, because it seems processor speed has out performed increasingly intensive programs....

games seem to have found their point where they run just fine on anything above 1 ghz on a pc... and frankly, if you have ever owned anything under 100 mhz, 1ghz will do just fine for a very long time.

so, back to the point, a computer being water cooled for 10 or more years, will be a big problem in my opinion. a leak happens and data go bye bye... if apple integrates water cooled processors.....that really work... i might just have to buy more stock 0_0

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They say water, but I would think it would be some type of on conductive liquid.

OP
C

Chamorro

rman said:
They say water, but I would think it would be some type of on conductive liquid.

You mean non-conductive?

Water cooling is definitely effective, but think of the power needed to run pumps, the space needed for the "radiator" (and the heat that part would give off), the weight of the liquid, plus having to construct lines and seals that will last the life of the computer and won't break if the computer gets bumped, secure connections for everything, possible condensation within the computer's chassis, oxidation on the "radiator", etc. etc.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the corection :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will be interesting to see what Apple does. but what is so special about April 18, or show I say what the 18th?

OP
T

TylerMoney

the powerbook g5 is most definently not coming out in april....or may....look how many problems the powermac g5 has had so far?.....heating the beast is no easy task...they're sure as **** not ready for laptops yet...summer or later I'd say...

OP
W

wiggin1605

You PEOPLE

You guys are such pessimists. Can you people even back up your claims that the technology is not ready? Apple just bought into, like a few months ago, Cooligy www.cooligy.com any one ever watch The Screen Savers on TechTv? In January they had a guy from cooligy on. And show the technology they had, it is ready for the market. It is completely silent an has no moving parts to it. It uses a porous white disk that when has electricity going through it pulls the water through much like the way a mag lev train works using the positive an negative charges in the water an the disk to pull the water through at amazing speeds. Some thing like a liter a minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Okay - I'm very impressed, that looks like it has serious potential. I wonder if they can keep something like that small enough...

OP
W

wiggin1605

So..

Graphite you still think it is FAR OFF??? Got any thing to back up the way you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
wiggin1605 said:
Graphite you still think it is FAR OFF??? Got any thing to back up the way you think?

the reason why i don't think they'll come out with the Powerbook G5 on April 18th is b/c they haven't come out with the new PowerMac G5. They are both supposed to be using the new 970(or something like that) chipset, which is supposed to be smaller, more powerful and energy efficient. i HIGHLY doubt that they will release a Powerbook with this new chipset before they come out with the PowerMac with this new chipset. the G5 is ridiculously gigantic and hard to cool and until they test the waters with the PowerMac with the new chipset, they're not going to release the Powerbook with the new chipset. that's pretty much how i think it will happen. and it just doesn't make sense to come out with a notebook that has the new G5 processor before it comes out on a desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.