Widgets on Desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Did I imagine this?

I'm sure I seen it, at least I think I've seen it, where a widget appears actually on the desktop rather than dashboard.

In particular the one I've seen (I think it must be a widget) is where the album artwork appears on the desktop of the current song playing in iTunes.

Is such a thing possible? Does anyone know what this widget/thingy is or where I can download it if it's not a widget?

If it is a widget is it possible to put any widgets on the desktop, if so how and are there any negative effects on system performance/stability?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Either developer mode or Amnesty Singles.
The nice thing about Amnesty Singles is that the Dashboard process doesn't keep running as it does with the dev mode hack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
bring up dashboard, bring up that little widget bar thingy, click and drag the widget u want, and press F12 (or w/e makes ur dashboard go away) while still holding the widget and it should go on ur desktop...it will only stay there until the next time u bring up dashboard, unless of course u download "ToggleWidgetOnTop", a free app that lets u permanently keep widgets on ur desktop ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Narf's correct, as of 10.4.5, I believe, you can simply drag them from the Dashboard to the desktop.

No app necessary.

Reaction score
Narf's correct, as of 10.4.5, I believe, you can simply drag them from the Dashboard to the desktop.

No app necessary.

This works, but I find the widget on the desktop disappears if I go into dashboard again, or if the screensaver invokes.

I don't really want to download another application just to keep a widget on the desktop; I'd rather have an option on the widget itself.

Reaction score
To get a widget off of the Dashboard and onto your desktop, just do the following:

- Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).
- Begin dragging the widget.
- Press F12 again, before letting go of the mouse button and drop the widget wherever you want.

You can repeat this for as many widgets as you like.

courtesy of fellow Mac forum :yinyang:

Reaction score
Widget Pop up issue

Widget keeps popping up as I did not command or do anything. Is there a way to keep this happening. It does drive me crazy. I am sure there is a setting that I need to set so I can manually command to have the widget come up (F12 button)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.