Soon to be switcher.

Reaction score
I'm hopefully going to switch from a Sony VAIO to a 24'' iMac. I came here because I have a few hardware questions.

I do a lot of things at once on computers. This includes running Photoshop, iTunes, Internet Browsers, and Instant Messaging software simultaneously.
  • Should I keep the 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, or upgrade to the 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor for $250.00 more?

• What about RAM, should 1gb of RAM suffice or should I upgrade to 2gb of RAM for $175.00 more?

• I may or may not do 3D design, but it is a definite possibility. Will a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB SDRAM work fine if I do this, or should I upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM for $125.00 more?

• Do you feel AppleCare is worth the cost? If so, why?
I doubt I will need 250gb of Hard Drive space, let alone 500gb. I've only used about 90gb of space on my computer right now, and that includes software that I don't even use, along with unused files that I no longer need but don't delete because I never feel organized when using windows regardless.

Thanks for all the help,
Brendan

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
I know for sure that I won't be getting 3gb, but I will probably end up getting 2gb. Don't get me wrong, I want 3gb of RAM, but I am 16 and I will be working until Christmas just to pay around 2.5k that I am looking to spend.

Reaction score
I know for sure that I won't be getting 3gb, but I will probably end up getting 2gb. Don't get me wrong, I want 3gb of RAM, but I am 16 and I will be working until Christmas just to pay around 2.5k that I am looking to spend.
Gotcha man. 2GB will be very good!

M

MacHeadCase

Hiya Brendan! Welcome! The 250GB hard drive is ok as is. If ever you need more space an external is easy to get for backups and keeping files to unclog your internal hard drive.

Definitely get more RAM than the default, factory installed. To save a few bucks, installing it your self is easy as pie.

T

todd51

Definately go with the 2Gb of ram, you can never go wrong with more ram. I believe the 2.16Ghz processor is fine for what your wanting to do.

Even though I don't have AppleCare, I would suggest it. I plan to get it before my first year is up. You should realize you get 1 year off the bat, and throughout that year you can upgrade to AppleCare anytime you want WITHIN that year of purchase.

Not sure about the video card. As for the HD space, I would feel perfectly comfortable with the 250. Only reason you would need the 500 is if you have LOTS of music, or do a lot of video editing and such.

Have fun with your new iMac! The 24-inch ones are BEAUTIFUL! :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
1} go with the bigger chip.. It will be a pain in the rear to get it done after you buy it.

2} with the programs you will be running I suggest you get 2GB of RAM.

3} i have no idea.. ;)

4} i suggest you go with applecare. My wife and I both own PB's we have both already paid off our applecare(s). I had a blown speaker. She had a blown fan and she had to have her keyboard replaced.. with parts and labor it was well over $700. These issues came up in the 13 month and applecare paid for it all. If we did not have applecare we would have had a real mess on our hands.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
I'd much rather just get it factory installed.

I know how easy it is, but would just rather have it factory installed because my mother would throw a fit if I did anything to my new $2,000 dollar computer. Even though it's as simple as opening a small compartment in the bottom.

I also do want an External Hard Drive, and I will probably pick one up in the future. The first thing I need to worry about is getting a job!

Edit: Thanks for both of your input above. I'm definitely going for 2gb of RAM now, and probably the better processor also. I also will get AppleCare thanks to all of your input!

As for the Graphics Card, I still don't know yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hi Brendan! Welcome to the forums.

the 2.16, the 1Gb RAM, and the 7300GT, will do what you want, no problem.

The upgrades will just make things a bit snappier...

If it were me... I would FOR SURE get 2GB of RAM. I woud leave the processor at 2.16, and I would probably upgrade the to the 7600GT (gaming, enhanced 3D work, etc). I also opted for the 500GB drive, and I keep everything on my machine. It would be nice/smart to just go with the 250GB, then get another 250 or 300Gb external if needed, and you could use that for back-ups. I just really enjoy having only 1 wire on my machine (the power cord) with the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi Brendan! Welcome to the forums.

the 2.16, the 1Gb RAM, and the 7300GT, will do what you want, no problem.

The upgrades will just make things a bit snappier...

If it were me... I would FOR SURE get 2GB of RAM. I woud leave the processor at 2.16, and I would probably upgrade the to the 7600GT (gaming, enhanced 3D work, etc). I also opted for the 500GB drive, and I keep everything on my machine. It would be nice/smart to just go with the 250GB, then get another 250 or 300Gb external if needed, and you could use that for back-ups. I just really enjoy having only 1 wire on my machine (the power cord) with the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard.
Now there you go again -- spending the kid's money.

But yes, this is very good advice from Mr. RIDE.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
I won't be playing to many games because I get very addicted to PC games, and I don't want that to happen again. Plus, I have an Xbox 360 that has plenty of good games on it right beside my iMac. However, I just might so I can maybe run bootcamp to play America's Army.

I know for sure I am going to get the processor and RAM upgrades, and definatly AppleCare also.

I don't think I am getting a 500gb HD however, because an external will be good to backup all my files.

Speaking of Xbox 360, are there any cables so I can plug my 360 into my monitor and use it as my screen? I have a capture card but it doesn't give great quality, and it would be terrible playing with such bad quality on a beautiful 24'' screen.

Edit: Thanks for the input to all of you. I gave you each a reputation point!

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Well, the more I think about it, the more I realize I wouldn't be aloud to spend around $3000.00. The subtotal is $2,653.00 for the iMac alone, just with AppleCare, the Wireless Mouse and Keyboard, the upgraded processor, and the upgraded RAM.

I may just get the normal processor, or maybe do as MacHeadCase suggested and buy more RAM later. Maybe AppleCare? Which is the least crucial.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
woah, is that canada dollars?

i was expecting 1500 bucks or so...

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
I stated that I want the 24'' iMac. Maybe thats what made you think of a different price? I may just go with the 20'' one.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh, ok, nm. if cost is an issue, at least as far as whether you get one or not, you may want to start with a 20", mostly base except for the memory upgrade. it will do what you're asking of it, and you'll get it for much, much less than 2.5K plus.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
The 24'' looks so pretty! I just can't decide. Maybe I will talk to my mom and see if I earn the money myself if she will let me get whatever I want. My mom won't let me spend my own money most of the time. It is ridiculous.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
I've finally decided. I posted exactly what I am shooting for in my blog. I'm looking forward to getting my iMac!

I bought a domain today too! I'm the proud owner of BrendanWelsh.net!

Reaction score
Get the best you can afford and by all means get whatever upgrades you want at Point of Purchase, you'll save money. :yinyang:

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Well, this is more than what I can afford, but thats why I am saving up! :)

Reaction score
I commend you for finding what you want and planning on working to pay for it. In the end, it will all be worth it and you'll have a nice Mac for years to come.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.