candybar/shapeshifter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Just downloaded candybar and shapeshifter and before I start trying anything I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions on where I can get some good themes and icons.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Reaction score
I've read a little about both of these programs and have a very basic question that will determine if I want to use them when I get my Mac.

Basically, what I want to know is do running different themes slow your computer down like themes using an external application on Windows do? Also, does it leave any files that won't go away unless you manually remove them after a theme is applied?

Also, when using candybar do you icons change for all menus involving the thing that the icon is set to, and is this the only way to use icons?

I don't mean to steal your thread, but I felt it wasn't necessary to start another.

T

todd51

Also, when using candybar do you icons change for all menus involving the thing that the icon is set to, and is this the only way to use icons?

No there is a different way to change icons such as the HD. Candybar is nice for changing the Dock icons and it's just faster and simpler if you download a group of related-looking icons.

If you wanted to change the look of your HD icon, just use one of the helpful links that KoDorSean provided. Once you download the set of images, highlight the HD icon and press Command+I to open up the info menu.

Highlight the icon you wish to use, and press Command+C to copy it. Now click once on the icon in the upper left corner of the Info window (uploaded pic of it) and it should have a blue outline. Press Command+V and presto! You have a new icon!

If you ever wish to restore it back to original, click on the image in the upper-left corner of the window and press Delete.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks todd51. I really appreciate it!

I don't have a Mac yet, but I bookmarked your post for further reference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I've read a little about both of these programs and have a very basic question that will determine if I want to use them when I get my Mac.

Basically, what I want to know is do running different themes slow your computer down like themes using an external application on Windows do? Also, does it leave any files that won't go away unless you manually remove them after a theme is applied?

I don't mean to steal your thread, but I felt it wasn't necessary to start another.

If shapeshifter does slow down your system ( I don't know if it does or not) you will not notice it.. I don't at least.

T

todd51

If shapeshifter does slow down your system ( I don't know if it does not not) you will not notice it.. I don't at least.

I installed ShapeShifter the other night for the first time to give it a try. I only noticed a slowdown when starting up, which it wasn't that bad anyways.

I didn't stick with it since I don't mind OSX's default colors and everything anyways :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Usually, you won't notice a big difference with it, unless you are running an older computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
yeah, just select the default as the theme, and it will switch back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Candybar applies icons to the entire system, as well as individual applications if you wish, and this includes the hard drive and other drives connected. You could do it manually, but it's sooooo much easier with CandyBar.

Shapeshifter is the safest way to apply themes in OSX. There are a few themes that have their own installers, but those themes actually REPLACE the Apple files in your system - which can easily make a mess of things (though I've not had any problems with them). Shapeshifter doesn't touch the system files, it simply intercepts the call from the system for the theme resources and replaces the call with the new theme resources. So no files are actually replaced.

The very best place to get themes is in the "Releases & Updates" and "Mods & Hybrids" forums at MacThemes.

Reaction score
I installed ShapeShifter the other night for the first time to give it a try. I only noticed a slowdown when starting up, which it wasn't that bad anyways.

I didn't stick with it since I don't mind OSX's default colors and everything anyways :)

Yeah I've had Shapeshifter for a while but I hardly ever install a theme. To put it bluntly but for a few exceptions most of them are pretty craptacular. I prefer OSX's default as well. Does anyone know of a Panther theme?

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
hmmm I tried throwing in a different icon set but I didnt really like how it came out and I used candy bar to change it back to the first icon set i used and it wont take all the chages! for some reason my folders are still the old ones...any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
You probably need to log out and log back in for all the changes to take effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.