Need an external DVD RW burner-what to buy?

Reaction score
I have a laptop Powerbook G4 that had a Super Combo Drive. At one point it was not working and then it started to work again, miraculously. Now it is making a nasty sound, and I think it has died. I would like to purchase a new external drive, but not sure what would be the best/compatible one would be. I called an online store and they recommended the LaCie 16x d2 DVD+ -RW DL Firewire USB 2.0 Drive with Lightscribe. However, I read some of the reviews that said the ripping speed is slow. What would be a good external drive to replace my Super Combo Drive?:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
I may not be the right person to give advice because I'm cheap. but things usually work out for me. I can only tell you what I might do and thats find and inexpensive cd and dvd read write and install it in usb, firewire enclosure. I bought a pioneer dvd-r dvr-109 from newegg and installed it in my g4 and it works great. i see no reason why something like it in an enclosure shouldn't work as well. Inexpensive and versatile, you can use the enclosure later for a extra hard drive if needed. It's just my opinion.

Reaction score
It seems that some enclosure chipsets don't work well with Macs.

I tried one with a spare BenQ 1640 and it was not a great success, so I bought an external dvd burner - LG E10L (with LightScribe). This works fine, although it is USB2 rather than Firewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.