New OSX user, is this mouse movement normal?

Reaction score
Is this normal mouse movement on a Mac? My mouse movement speed is pretty good until the pointer gets around icons and buttons. Take the text box I am typing in on this forum for instance. If I move the pointer around in the area I can type in, its smooth and fast. When I move the mouse around the bold or italic buttons, it slows down and feels like its going thru mud.

If its normal, I guess I have to get use to it, Or is there some type of setting I can turn this off ?

:)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there is a certain pointer acceleration factor with OS X. it's not too unlike windows when this was turned on. you can try adjusting things under system preferences. more likley than not though, you'll just get used to the deliberate movements needed to accomplish zipping around the screen vs fine adjustment around small objects.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I noticed the same thing. The pointer precision is a bit weird with external mice (I don't have the same problem with my MacBook Pro's trackpad). One of the members here turned me on to SteerMouse, since then, it's been smooth sailing.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing. The pointer precision is a bit weird with external mice (I don't have the same problem with my MacBook Pro's trackpad). One of the members here turned me on to SteerMouse, since then, it's been smooth sailing.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

If anyone has any other solutions, please post.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I had problems with erratic mouse movements a few years ago, discovered it was the DTs though. ;)

Amen-Moses

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My problem was (prior to SteerMouse) not erratic movement or even acceleration. It was that when I was making broad movements with the mouse, I would overshoot the mark - but then, when I slowed the mouse movement, it felt like I was dragging the pointer through mud. But as soon as I physically increased the speed at which I was moving the mouse, it would go from overly precise to over shooting the target instantly.

It's hard to describe, but if you're using a mouse on a Windows machine and then flip back and forth between a Mac, you'll notice the difference. After I installed and tweaked Steermouse, I found I was able to make a good compromise to the point where I wasn't able to discern a difference.

When I'm at work, my Mac sits on the desk next to a PC. So, I shift back and forth between the two constantly. So, any differences in responsiveness are readily apparent. I think recent switchers notice this more than Mac veterans, because once you get the feel for the Mac, your brain adjusts to the acceleration threshold.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
My problem was (prior to SteerMouse) not erratic movement or even acceleration. It was that when I was making broad movements with the mouse, I would overshoot the mark - but then, when I slowed the mouse movement, it felt like I was dragging the pointer through mud. But as soon as I physically increased the speed at which I was moving the mouse, it would go from overly precise to over shooting the target instantly.

It's hard to describe, but if you're using a mouse on a Windows machine and then flip back and forth between a Mac, you'll notice the difference. After I installed and tweaked Steermouse, I found I was able to make a good compromise to the point where I wasn't able to discern a difference.

When I'm at work, my Mac sits on the desk next to a PC. So, I shift back and forth between the two constantly. So, any differences in responsiveness are readily apparent. I think recent switchers notice this more than Mac veterans, because once you get the feel for the Mac, your brain adjusts to the acceleration threshold.

Exactly. That's how I feel about the mouse movement. I'll give Steermouse a try tonight.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.