Possible to stop grouping program windows?

Reaction score
One thing I really hate about OSX is that if I have multiple windows open from the same program, a lot of times I don't know because when you apple-tab it only shows one image for each program, and if they are behind each other you never know they are there. Is there a way to have it not group them, or show me all the windows that are open, not just the programs?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can use expose - F9 (show all active windows) and F10 (show all active windows from the active or in focus program) should get you what you want.

you can also alt+` to cycle through an app's windows.

i don't know if there is a trick to make OS X do exactly what you're asking though.

Reaction score
Cycle through windows in an app

It might be that I'm using a danish keyboard, but to cycle trough open windows in fx Safari I use:
Command + <
Btw
Cycling through open Tabs in Safari:
Command + Shift + Arrow Key Left/Right

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sorry, i meant command+` not alt+`.

never tried the command with < or the tab shortcut for safari, i'll have to try those. thanks kkrog!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Also, Ctrl+F4 cycles through all the open windows indiscriminately like Alt-Tab on Windows does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Also, Ctrl+F4 cycles through all the open windows indiscriminately like Alt-Tab on Windows does.
I never new that!

That's very cool, I guess...I'll never use it, but some ex-Windows users will love it. Have some rep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.