memory problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
STILL having a memory problem!

So I was curious as to how much memory all my files from my old PC were taking up so I figured I'd try the Disk Inventory X program and It's telling me I have about 70G of .mp3 files but I only transferred over about 30G...whats going on here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Did you import them into iTunes? I believe, left in its default state, it *copies* them over vs. links them over. You may have two copies of your MP3s. Ditto for iPhoto by the way - it also copies, potentially leaving you with two copies of everything you import.

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
well basically what I did was just plug my iPod with all of my .mp3's on it and then had it bring them into my iTunes on the Mac. Is there a way I can get rid of the copies without screwing up my library? I don't really see the point of wasting almost 30Gs on copies of my music ya know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Sorry for the "20 questions", but how did you get the MP3s from your iPod onto your Mac? The answer to the potential duplication may lie in the mechanism you used.

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I would just bump this one up...wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get rid of the duplicates safely without losing all of my music.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.