Browser for the Internet

Reaction score
Righto.

At the moment I been using safari and i have found in the activity manager it using alot of memory. I would of though it would not use much as i though Apple dont like doing software that is memory hungry?

I also downloaded Firefox and that is a bit easier on memory. I use to use Firefox on my XP system.

What are the best browser in order out there at the moment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
An excerpt from my Linux to Mac Swither's Guide (shameless plug there!):
(http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html)

We all spend a lot of time on the web these days. Our web browser may be the one piece of software on our computer that we know better than any other. So which is the best browser for your new Mac? Here is a run down on the best and fastest web browsers available for Macs (in addition to the excellent Safari browser that comes with Mac OS X):

Sunrise: available at www.sunrisebrowser.com/en
Current version: 0.895.
Memory footprint: 22 MB real memory, 400 MB virtual memory
Bookmark Import: auto imports Safari bookmarks
Subjective: very fast to load and to load pages, supports lots of interesting features, including innovative graphical bookmarks. Somewhat quirky non-Mac looking interface, but very functional nonetheless. Missing only tabbed browsing to be a pretty nice browser. The author reports that tabbed browsing is available in the upcoming 1.0.0 release, to be made available soon.

Camino: available at www.caminobrowser.org
Current version: 1.0.3
Memory footprint: 28 MB real memory, 396 MB virtual memory
Bookmark Import: Can import bookmarks from Safari, Firefox and Opera
Subjective: Very fast to load and to load pages. Uses same Gecko rendering engine from Firefox. Very much a Mac application, sporting a very nice look n feel that Mac users will be quite comfortable with.

BonEcho: available at www.beatnikpad.com
Current Version: 2.0.0.1
Memory Footprint: 37 MB real memory, 397 MB virtual memory
Bookmark Import: imports Safari bookmarks
Note: This is an optimized version of Firefox 2.0.0.1. Specific apps are availalable for G5 and Intel processors.
Subjective: Fast to load, feels lightening fast to load pages. A significant speed differential over the stock Firefox offering. Looks, feels and behaves like Firefox in all regards but its speed, which is much better.

As a comparative note, Safari's memory footprint is 90MB real memory and 445 MB of virtual memory. The stock Firefox 1.5 takes 34 MB of real memory and 392 MB of virtual memory. This makes Safari the "heavyweight" of the group.

So, which one is the best? Subjectively, after playing with all of these browsers, BonEcho seems the best of them, given the full feature set, the average memory consumption and the excellent speed of operation. Bear in mind however that it does not sport the tight integration with other Mac software elements that Safari has.

Before making any binding commitments, if you are not strongly opinionated, try out Safari. Stick with it for a week or two (long enough for the "newness factor" to wear off) before deciding if you like it. If you don't, either Camino or BonEcho are excellent choices. Of course if you are strongly opinionated, you don't care what advice I have anyway, so I won't go any further - use whatever the heck you want to! :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Omniweb it not free but it been rated highly in Mac Format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'd say Firefox is the best browser out there at the moment. It takes a little longer than Safari to boot up, but it seems like it can surf the web a bit faster too. I've tried Opera as well and, while it is pretty nice for surfing, if you open another window in it, you get that annoying about:blank page instead of whatever you set as your homepage.

T

todd51

Camino: available at www.caminobrowser.org
Current version: 1.0.3
Memory footprint: 28 MB real memory, 396 MB virtual memory
Bookmark Import: Can import bookmarks from Safari, Firefox and Opera
Subjective: Very fast to load and to load pages. Uses same Gecko rendering engine from Firefox. Very much a Mac application, sporting a very nice look n feel that Mac users will be quite comfortable with.

My Activity Monitor shows that Camino is taking up 84Mb of Real Memory. Could I possibly have a memory leak?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33G DUO CORE 17"
CAMINO all the way...

You won't regret installing it at all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Which version of Opera did you try? Mine does not do that at all. There is a setting in the Preferences that changes what a window will display.

I'm not sure which version, I think the newest one. I'll look into preferences and see what I can do about it though. I just think that when you open a page and you get "about:blank" it is THE most annoying thing a web browser can do, especially since I've made Google my homepage, so if I can fix it I'd love to. If I can get it to stop doing that, I'd probably use it over Firefox because other than that one annoying thing it is a great browser.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok I get you now. Safari does that also when I open a new Tab, it's blank but not a new window. Never really bothered me. Checking Opera's settings to see if there is an option for a NEW page or Tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I get you now. Safari does that also when I open a new Tab, it's blank but not a new window. Never really bothered me. Checking Opera's settings to see if there is an option for a NEW page or Tab.

Safari has never done that to me. It's strange that we have the exact same problem with different browsers (queue Twilight Zone song).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari has never done that to me. It's strange that we have the exact same problem with different browsers (queue Twilight Zone song).

On Safari it happens when I go Command-T or from the file menu click on Open New Tab. It comes up blank. A new Windows displays the default homepage. I misunderstood you with Opera and thought you were talking about the page that opens when you launch Opera as there is a setting that changes what displays when you first open it. I see no other setting in Opera for a new Tab or Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
When I Ctrl+T in FireFox (Windows) I get a blank page....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On Safari it happens when I go Command-T or from the file menu click on Open New Tab. It comes up blank. A new Windows displays the default homepage. I misunderstood you with Opera and thought you were talking about the page that opens when you launch Opera as there is a setting that changes what displays when you first open it. I see no other setting in Opera for a new Tab or Windows.

Oh ok, well I guess I'll remain a Firefox user then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.