• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New in town - not got a clue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book
Hi everyone. I bought my first ever Mac yesterday & I'm stumped.

It's got wireless internet built-in, a feature I wanted as I plan to travel overseas & want to hook up wherever I am - coverage permitting - to the net.

Problem is, I've never had a net account anywhere in the world & just don't know how these things work. Do you pay-as-you-go, so to speak, on individual providers wherever you are or do you buy one thing at home that will have a kind of roaming agreement with wherever you happen to be?

If anyone replies please bear in mind I'm new to this & instructions suitable for a ten-year-old would be good.

Thanks in advance.

T

todd51

I don't think I'm quite understanding you clearly.

Your Macbook has a wireless card built in, giving you the capabilities of connecting to any wireless hotspot you encounter.

OP
Hitman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book
It asks me for a password whichever network I find?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wireless in computers isn't like cellular networks, at least not entirely.

To connect to the Internet at home, you would need something like a wireless router that is hooked up to your Internet connection, say a cable or DSL modem. The router works very much like other routers in that it splits the connection among several computers, but has antennas so wireless computers can use the connection as well.

Now, wireless routers have the option to add passwords so that only computers with the password can connect and use that particular connection. If you don't have a password, you can't connect to that router, and thus can't get Internet access. While traveling, you will find both wireless networks with and without such passwords.

Many commercial outlets, such as cafes and book stores, will offer wireless Internet for their customers. Some of these may be free in that you just connect and off you go. Others may require you to pay for them. You can either buy single use passes that last for a certain number of hours/days, or you can get a subscription plan for services such as Tmobile Hot Spots. These subscriptions let you connect to every wireless hotspot offered by that particular company. For example, Starbucks has a contract with Tmobile where you will always be able to find a Tmobile wireless network at their stores. So you can buy yourself a year pass and use it at every Starbucks shop. There are several other companies that offer such services. You should be able to check on their websites for coverage areas.

Hope this answers the basics. If you have any more questions or if anything was unclear, let us know and we'll help you out. :black:

Reaction score
What you're referring to is Global Roaming. You join up in the country in which you live and then you can access the internet in the overseas locations that they cover. You would have to research to see which company suits your needs.

Global Roaming

If you travel with a laptop computer, accessing your BigPond email and internet service is as easy as making a dial-up call. BigPond Global Roaming is available to all BigPond Members.

As a member of the iPass Global NetworkTM you have a dial-up phone number to use in countries all over the world.

Rate per hour $8.00 per hour (excludes GST) if used overseas.
GST applies if used within Australia.
Call costs Local call charges apply separately.
BigPond Roaming locations

For the latest list of countries and locations available for BigPond Global Roaming, click here

Setting up BigPond Global Roaming

Make sure you enable your BigPond Global Roaming before you go overseas.
Once Global Roaming has been enabled, you will need to download the iPass software from here.

For detailed set-up and testing instructions, please read the BigPond Global Roaming User Guide before you leave.

OP
Hitman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book
a wireless router / a cable or DSL modem

I'm not 100% sure what they are. Told you I was new - ie, thick!

Starbucks has a contract with Tmobile where you will always be able to find a Tmobile wireless network at their stores. So you can buy yourself a year pass and use it at every Starbucks shop

But this sounds like the answer to my problems. Thanks. Does it apply worldwide though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a list of all the countries Tmobile offers WiFi hotspots:

T-Mobile HotSpot Locations

Remember, there are other services also available. What countries in particular will you be visiting?

OP
Hitman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book
I'll check Starbucks tomorrow. If that's all it needs I'm a happy man.

Not exactly the scenario the guy in the shop described - "just turn it on anywhere in the world & it'll automatically connect to the internet".

Cheers.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, Hitman.

I think the salesman probably thought you had an ISP (Internet Service Provider) to get on the Internet.

DOH! Never mind, misread the post.

Well hotels must have Internet service?

OP
Hitman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book
Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Most helpful. I'll have a bash at them tomorrow. If I have no luck I'll get back to you. I'll be getting back to you with my next problem anyway, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Always glad to help :black:

Also, be sure to use the User Reputation System (it's the button on the left that has a checkmark and X on it)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.