HP Photsmart 7260 driver

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Mac users....

I got my first mac since 84 or 87 (Can't remember, I was 10 or so).

I have my HP Photosmart shared through my XP desktop and the mini mac sees it just fine. Since the model wasn't on the list I tried generic, and that was a no go.

I tried downloading that 128 meg OS X printer driver from HP, that was a no go. I installed the package and nothing happened. I took a look in the console log and it had a bunch of lines about hp stuff not loaded.

I found a web page with a driver (Foomatic) that covered the 7260 and that worked, but everything prints to the extreme left and top of the page. It's as if the margins are incorrect. I don't see a setting to adjust this.

I'm thinking it's just the driver, but I don't know how to get the one from HP to work

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Try connecting the HP driectly to see if it works, if it does, you might need to adjust your Windows driver which might be screwing up. (Of course, this is the most fanboyish assumption available).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I have my 7260 shared via Ubuntu and I use the drivers from here:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX

The 'real' HP drivers don't support network printing for some reason, and they caused all sorts of problems on my Intel mac. I'm sharing the printer via IPP rather than Samba/Windows sharing so I don't know if that makes any difference, but the quality and options are excellent.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have my 7260 shared via Ubuntu and I use the drivers from here:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX

The 'real' HP drivers don't support network printing for some reason, and they caused all sorts of problems on my Intel mac. I'm sharing the printer via IPP rather than Samba/Windows sharing so I don't know if that makes any difference, but the quality and options are excellent.

That's the place I got the working driver from. I used the hpijs package. Should I try that Gutenprint?

OP
S
Reaction score
Try connecting the HP driectly to see if it works, if it does, you might need to adjust your Windows driver which might be screwing up. (Of course, this is the most fanboyish assumption available).
I'll try it. I had it plugged in directly, but I never tested it. Strangely enough, when I went to setup the network printing the 7260 was already installed as a USB directly connected

I will most likely never have it directly connected, to hard to explain to my wife how to print all her stuff on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
That's the place I got the working driver from. I used the hpijs package. Should I try that Gutenprint?

No, the HPIJS (stands for 'Hewlett-Packard InkJet System', IIRC, and was contributed by HP engineers) will be fine as long as you remembered to install the espgs version of GhostScript on the download page.

I've not seen the particular problem you describe - is the page the correct scale but misplaced on the page, or scrunched up?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
See the Networking Printers FAQ. This should help you to find an appropriate network driver for your printer.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, the HPIJS (stands for 'Hewlett-Packard InkJet System', IIRC, and was contributed by HP engineers) will be fine as long as you remembered to install the espgs version of GhostScript on the download page.

I've not seen the particular problem you describe - is the page the correct scale but misplaced on the page, or scrunched up?
I got the espgs ghostscript

The image is the correct scale, just misplaced. It is as far as it can go to the top left corner without being cut off

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.