Running Windows programs with Crossover

Reaction score
I just heard about a new program called Crossover that lets you run Windows programs on a Mac without having Windows on your Mac. Is anyone familiar with it and does it work well? I am still trying to decide on whether or not to make a Mac my next computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
It works OK for some applications, not all are supported (actually their list is pretty small). But I wouldn't worry about it too much, most of the applications you use on your PC either have versions for the Mac OS or there are applications out there that do the same thing / will read and write it's files.

What programs are you thinking about using?

OP
P
Reaction score
Crossover programs

Thank you, my favorite programs are Greeting Card Factory Deluxe 06, Hallmark Card Studio 06, CreataCard Platinum 8, & Gold 3, PaintShop Photo Album 5, Scrapbook Factory to name a few. Plus a lot of small games and Hoyle Card games, plus others. It would be quite expensive to replace them all to Mac versions, even if there were Mac versions.
I really love the 24" imac but am having a hard time making up my mind. I don't plan on replacing my Dell for 5 or 6 months so I have time to decide.
The fact that Vista doesn't seem to be doing very well may help me decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
Is there anything which will read outlook files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you have a long list of programs that Crossover doesn't support, you can always check out Parallels Desktop. It essentially lets you run Windows side by side with Mac OS X.

The latest version of Parallels has a feature called Coherence mode which effectively makes Windows programs look like they're running on your Mac desktop. With some theme changes, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Check out their website for some screenshots, and I think Youtube might have some videos of Coherence in action.

Reaction score
Edge of the Cotswold (Just next to Liz's Gaff!!!)
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2gb, 250gb HD
Is there anything which will read outlook files?

Do you mean pst files?

If so, then I imported my old pc files into Thunderbox, and then exported them to mbox format - these can then be dragged into Entourage if thats what you are using.

Do a google for outlook to entourage conversion - that throws up a few things.

Rich

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.