Front Row "Now Playing" and Shuffle Lag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Something is really annoying me at the moment with Front-Row.

Sometimes when I choose "Now Playing" under music, it will take about 20 seconds to load up. Other times however, it is immediate.

I just can't figure out why and it's so annoying. I have iTunes running and open already when I start using Front-Row so it can't be because it's loading. I also have a Macbook 1.83Ghz with 2GB of RAM which I just installed.

I know that it's a small issue in comparison what other things could go wrong but its making my experience so much less enjoyable. Front row is probably one of my favourite things about Macs....

Does anybody know if there's anything I can do about it?

p.s. I'm planning to upload a link to a video later which shows exactly what happens but I wanted to get your initial response first.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I apologise. I think I've just been impatient..... It seems that initially Front-Row is quite slow to do most things. But after just using it for a while it's responding very nicely now.

My bad.

p.s.

Whilst trying to find a solution to my 'problem', I found a lot of articles saying Front-Row is known to be laggy for some people for a variety of reasons. This just added to my paranoia but luckily I don't actually have any 'real' problem with Front Row.

However, in my research I did find one very useful article which I'd like to share to make up for my stupid initial post!
Configuring Front-Row

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought the problem had gone but it has come back again and it doesn't seem like it wants to leave. So I recorded a video to show you what actually happens and at the same time had my first experiment with iWeb.

Check out the video at my website

Reaction score
yeah that's random but feel lucky. you have a lot of memory and yours works faster than mine. except when it randomly does that. but mine does it sometimes too, just not QUITE that bad. buttt yeah it's nothing to complain about...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah that's random but feel lucky. you have a lot of memory and yours works faster than mine. except when it randomly does that. but mine does it sometimes too, just not QUITE that bad. buttt yeah it's nothing to complain about...

Hey deathtolife04. Glad its not just me who suffers from this then. Do you have 2GB of RAM too? BTW, does your one spin for ages before opening? Or is it like mine where the spinner COMPLETELY stops, like its stuttering?

I think that having 2GB makes this even harder to bear! If I only had 512MB or 1GB, at least in my mind I could pass it off as the reason for the lag even if it wasn't true.

Although its not the worst problem in the world by far, it is detrimental to my enjoyment of using Front Row and if there was a solution/fix to this I'd hapily implement it on my Macbook. I'm one of these perferctionists who like things working just so and if they don't it preys on my mind until I get it fixed. Even an explanation would help me feel less agrieved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.