Furture Mac User - Many Questions

Reaction score
Hi apologies if many questions are elsewhere. I have also added your beginners guides to my bookmarks for future use.

I am hopefully getting a Mac Mini but after leopard is out.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will I be able to connect to the Internet? The PC which I need on and connected in order for my current PC to get on is running Windows so will the Mac be able to connect to the net by the same way? Its broadband we use.

2. Is there any noticeable performance difference if I added a extra 512 of RAM to the Mac Mini?

3. What are the differences in graphics of a game (Sims 2 preferably) in a mac compared to a windows with its shared memory? Is it jumpy or smooth etc?

4. Will my Mac be able to communicate with every other PC in the house. Every other PC is using windows. Also the printer is connected to another computer (like the Internet), so will the Mac be able to locate this?

5. Is there any way to insert speakers into a Mac Mini as the sound is very quiet without? The speakers again are on my windows PC so would they work in a Mac?

Thanks for some answers and apologies again if this is elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
1. Will I be able to connect to the Internet? The PC which I need on and connected in order for my current PC to get on is running Windows so will the Mac be able to connect to the net by the same way? Its broadband we use.
Yes. MacMini comes with a Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) ethernet slot. You can connect to internet just like any other PC/Mac.

2. Is there any noticeable performance difference if I added a extra 512 of RAM to the Mac Mini?
Yes. It is a good idea to add more memory since you are planning to play games on it.

3. What are the differences in graphics of a game (Sims 2 preferably) in a mac compared to a windows with its shared memory? Is it jumpy or smooth etc?
I don't know about this.

4. Will my Mac be able to communicate with every other PC in the house. Every other PC is using windows. Also the printer is connected to another computer (like the Internet), so will the Mac be able to locate this?
Mac and PC communicate through SAMBA. You wont have problem connecting to the existing PCs.

5. Is there any way to insert speakers into a Mac Mini as the sound is very quiet without? The speakers again are on my windows PC so would they work in a Mac?
MacMini has a digital audio output. You can connect external speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig
Hi apologies if many questions are elsewhere. I have also added your beginners guides to my bookmarks for future use.

I am hopefully getting a Mac Mini but after leopard is out.

Congrats!

I would suggest getting a router, if your current broadband modem doesn't have one built in. Most come with a built in router now, but on the off chance yours doesn't, you may want to consider buying one.

Ram is universal in it's importance. The more ya have, the smoother your system operates.

See router question.. once you setup your home network (if you don't have one setup) then you should be golden.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

I have thought of one more question

6: With the mail application in Mac OS X, will I be able to add my POP3 email account and will the Mac recognise the account if I import it into the software.

Thanks for any more replies.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, futuremacuser!

And the answer to your last question is YES you can! :girl:

Edited to add:

This is Tiger Mail.app's interface.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

After a crash just now from Windows, I had to switch off from the power button. Waited 30 secs then restarted now all my passwords have been deleted and the backup has lost many passwords. The Mac can't come quite soon enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
On the question of your POP3 email, importing your old email into Mail.app may be really easy or really challenging, depending on the email client you are using today. What client is that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.