Macbook for serious audio

Reaction score
I'm a Sound Technology student, and am starting to need as near professional quality results as possible from audio software. My trusty old PC laptop has finally given up the ghost, and I'm seriously considering a Macbook 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 1gb RAM (For now, probably upgrade the RAM later, when I have funds)

I don't hear great things about it's graphical prowess, but that doesn't bother me as I'm trying to cut back on gaming anyway. :)

But how does it deal with proper audio applications? ProTools, Reason, Ableton Live, Logic, things like that.

What can I expect in the way of polyphony, multi-tracking, latency, and plugin/effect performance?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
welcome to the forums pulsewave. you shouldnt have any issues doing some heavy duty recording with your MB. the 1 gig of ram will come in handy when running quite a bit of plugins, but the more you use, the more ram youre gonna eat up. if you are gonna be mixing some seriously large sessions with lots of plug ins, opt for anothe gig of ram and you should be ok.

i use my macbook for mobile recording with Pro Tools and have little issues. multi-tracking is fine, as ill use 8 simultaneous tracks while recording drums, latency is never an issue, etc. ive had errors on occasion, but was only when i was running with the standard 512 mb ram. good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody 15" MBP 2.66GHZ 500GB 7200RPM 4GB RAM Nvidia 9600m
No problem at all

I have white MacBook 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB of ram
don't have any problem what so ever to use w/ pro tools 002 with 2~3 plugins per each channel w/ 24 track mixess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I use my MacBook to record and produce our podcast. Most of the mixing and final production work is done under Adobe Audition on XP running under Parallels, and it works beautifully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
i just got my macbook and so far reason3 runs like a treat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd recommend you consider replacing the harddrive with a 7200 rpm drive.
That can make a big difference when playing multiple tracks from harddrive.

It's mind-boggingly simple to swap drives on the macbook and you can always put the original drive in an external enclosure and use it for backups!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.