I have Just jumped onboard & have few quick questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello everybody,

I just purchased (and recieved) an imac online. I purchased a mac because I want to get into filmmaking and discovered that if you weren't using a mac you were at a great disadvantage. So I used my tax return to go whole hog, so to speak. I have to say I am really impressed so far and can see why everybody loves it. I do plan one taking one of those one on one classes that the Apple Store offers in a few months (mostly to get well versed in final cut express) but in the mean time I have a few or two.

First, Should I download Windows media player for mac or just the Flip4mac program?

Second, Safari is very different from IE, Should I stick with it and get to know it better or is there a better browser? I used Firfox before on Windows XP and didn't really care for it, Is Opera or Camino better?

Third, Should I download bootcamp and run Windows as well? I really don't want to because I feel as I get better on the mac I will get further away from the PC format until I don't need or even want It anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am really looking forward to better understanding everything this baby can offer. This forum is probably the best one I have found everybody is really helpful and informative.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hi! Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of Mac! <---Cheese! :D

1) Just download Flip4Mac
2) I prefer Safari... but others will advise firefox, Opera, Shiira, etc.
You may want to get to know safari before you dismiss it.
3) If you do not need any of your old Windows programs... no need for bootcamp. Just jump right in to OS X

If you have any questions or need any help just ask.

Congrats on the iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The Mac will feel really different. So, I would recommend that you consciously decide to go for what I call "full Mac immersion" for a period of month or so. Consciously decide to seek out and use the "Mac way" of doing any thing that you are trying to do. This will force you to break the Windows paradigm you are thinking in, and allow you to experience the full Mac experience.

To that end, Safari is a very good browser. Force yourself to use it.

A month or so later you can sit back, now experienced in both ways of doing things, and start making decisions about how you really want to approach the world.

In my case, I did just this, and found that I pretty much completely discarded the old Windows way of doing things. Life IS better on the Mac side.

OP
Atomic Samurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
That's guys I can't wait to really get into it. I will give Safari a chance, it is really hard at first to break from the Windows hold. Since I am not really a gamer I will just keep my old PC around until I get completely comfortable to do without it. I am sure I will have many more questions.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
If you ever go on myspace, you will want to use something other than Safari. There are several plugins on that site that cause Safari to go "WHAT!?!?!?". Also, unlike Safari, Firefox allows you to print just a selection from a page. Safari makes you print the whole page.

As for Windows, why bother? Unless you're into PC gaming, there isn't anything you can't do with a Mac equivalent. Force yourself to get very familiar with OSX before you worry about Windows. For word processing, if you don't feel like learning new software, you can always buy Microsoft Office for Mac.

~Damien

Edit: Wow people on this site are fast to answer! I hit reply and then got up for something. By the time I came back and typed, two people had already posted. LOL

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with the above posters, Safari will run out of gas with certain web sites and you will need Firefox for them.

Now that you have a Mac you will have more friends, a better love life and make more money.:eek: Congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Now that you have a Mac you will have more friends, a better love life and make more money.:eek: Congrats!

Well of course you'll have more friends, and a better love life... And sure you'll make more money... but you'll just go and spend it on Apple products so that's pretty much a wash. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.