new MBP owner with a question

Reaction score
Few weeks ago i received my 15in MBP. i got a great deal on a refurb. since im a college student i had to watch my budget but i was able to save enough for a 15in MBP with a 2GHz Core Duo (not C2D), 1 gig of ram, 100GB HD, and 256MB video card. The laptop even tho is a refurb looks brand new and i had no problems so far. I got it for the sole purpose of being able to do video editng using Final Cut Pro Studio. I really wanted the C2D version but money was tight and i think getting another gig of ram will be more beneficial.

i had one question however. Sometimes i leave my laptop on overnight. is it safe to do that? Nothing intensive is taking place, sometimes just a large download. Is there a way to put the computer to sleep but still allow it to download. So far i noticed that once i put it to sleep the dl stops. is there an option to fix that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is nothing wrong with leaving it on all night.
Just turn down the screen brightness if the light bothers you.
:black:

OP
P
Reaction score
thanx. what about the sleep question. is there a way to keep my downloads going when i put it to sleep?

T

todd51

There are programs out there, I believe one is called Insomniax or something like that. I have also heard rumors about people using this program, then closing the lid, and having their hard drives get fried.

Whenever I want to download something off my FTP over-night that's a large file size, I will just turn the screen brightness down all the way so that it's pretty much off, or if it's not in the room where I'm sleeping, I'll just set the screensaver. There is nothing wrong with let it running. Just don't leave it as a blank screen so you get burn images.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.