• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

College

Reaction score
So yeah I am new and I am getting ready to college to go to college. So far im into University Of Pittsburgh, University of Wisconsin and, Rutgers. I just wanted to know what you guys think of these schools and what school you guys either already attended or are attending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
Congrats on completing Highschool. Rutgers is a very good school a friend of mine will be attending there in the fall. I will be attending College of westchester.

Reaction score
I know academics is the top priority... well, it's supposed to be, anyway, but there are other factors that go into picking a school, such as the program that school has for what you want to do, how close to home you are (if you want to go home more often than breaks), what types of things there are in the area around the campus, tuition, and even sports. I picked Penn State because it's about an hour away from home, they're a highly-recognizable name, and I'm a football fan.

Getting back on topic... I personally don't know much about those schools. I have a friend that goes to Pitt, but hardly ever talk to her. So basically, just pick whichever you think will be best for you. Good luck, and congratulations. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I'm currently a freshmen a Providence College, and I'm definitely happy with my decison.

As far as academics go, definitely go to a place that offers what you want. I wanted a solid liberal arts education, and I wanted a respected political science program, so I only looked at schools that offered both of these.

School scene is huge too. I can't tell you how happy I am that I didn't end up at Boston College, which had been one of my top choices early in the college search. You want to make sure you are at a school where you will get along with the types of kids that go there. If you are a partier, you may want to consider going to a school with a half decent party scene. If you're not, you may want to avoid schools like UMass and the like. Most schools are taking steps to provide programs for kids who don't drink anyway.

Also, try to make sure you at least slightly agree with the school's ideology. I didn't go to Catholic school before college, but I am very happy with my decision. On the other hand, a friend of mine couldn't be anymore miserable at his school, almost entirely because the school is Catholic. You don't want to end up at a school where you feel the need to protest all of the rules and policies that the administration have set up.

That's just a bit of information though. Put anymore questions you have up on here. I went through this just last year so I think I can be of some solid assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
which Univeristy of Wisconson are you thinking about going to? madison? they are really high up there. i will be at eau claire next fall, they are pretty good too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm a student at Rutgers University, currently in my fourth year. I've experienced most of what Rutgers has to offer as I've commuted two years and have living on campus for two.

One of the biggest advantage of going to Rutgers is that it's a very good school academically. It also has a great atmosphere in that it's a mixed urban/suburban school. So you can enjoy the quiet life that a suburban school provides or dive headlong into the faster urban lifestyle, all within one school :yinyang:

I should warn you though that Rutgers is a very large school. The New Brunswick campus (the one I'm assuming you'll be attending) is actually spread across two towns, New Brunswick and neighboring Piscataway, and comprises of 5 campuses (this Fall they won't be distinct campuses anymore, but rather just smaller parts of the newly formed College of Arts and Sciences). Including the graduate schools, you can expect around 50,000 students, which can mean a lot of competition not just academically, but for housing options, transportation, and believe it or not, studying space. However, if you prefer to go to a big school where you can meet new people literally on a daily basis, then Rutgers is the place for you.

Plus, they don't call it the Public Ivy for nothing :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I was accepted to Kent State University just a few months ago. It is the only place I really applied at. I don't know why, but other colleges I looked at just didn't appeal to me. KSU is a good school. I can always get my Masters at another university.

EDIT: Oh, and it is close :p I want to live at home my first year to save up for an apartment. God, dorms are nasty. I dated a girl who lived in a dorm. It is NOT what it is made out to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Oh, and it is close :p I want to live at home my first year to save up for an apartment. God, dorms are nasty. I dated a girl who lived in a dorm. It is NOT what it is made out to be.

Actually, the quality of college dorms vary from each university. For Rutgers, there are several freshman residence halls where the dorms are rather nice. From second year onward, things just get better in terms of quality and location.

I stayed 10 days in the Villanova dorms for a leadership program and they were pretty decent too, a bit cramped compared to Rutgers though. I've seen the dorms of a couple of Philadelphia colleges and they're all pretty decent too. USP has some really nice rooms. NYU's offerings aren't bad either.

It really depends on which school you go to. Being an upperclassman always helps though ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I was accepted to Kent State University just a few months ago. It is the only place I really applied at. I don't know why, but other colleges I looked at just didn't appeal to me. KSU is a good school. I can always get my Masters at another university.

EDIT: Oh, and it is close :p I want to live at home my first year to save up for an apartment. God, dorms are nasty. I dated a girl who lived in a dorm. It is NOT what it is made out to be.

Hey neighbor!!! my sister goes to KSU. Maybe you've run into her(prbly not ;)).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Hey neighbor!!! my sister goes to KSU. Maybe you've run into her(prbly not ;)).

Every time I hear (or read in this case) Kent State, I think of the old saying Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State. Then I think of Wright State, Wrong University. Then I just chuckle to myself. Of course I don't have anything against these schools, I just enjoy the little sayings that go along with them.

Since I interrupted the topic to make fun of a couple of schools I'll just add that you should try to visit the colleges you are most interested in to find out a little more about it. I chose a school based on the field I am going into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Oh..hey! I assume you go to Tallmage High School? I know a few people that go there.

No, unfortunately. I go to Walsh Jesuit. I'd assume ur a senior in high school, where do u go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

No way dude. A dorm is the only way to go freshmen year. It's the best way to meet new people and it's one of those life experiences you're supposed to have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.